Author Topic: New Star owner needs help getting started  (Read 10454 times)

oldtimer

• Active Members
    • View Profile
New Star owner needs help getting started
« on: October 28, 2005, 04:55:14 pm »
Hi all, I'm brand new to this forum, but not to reloading. I've been shooting and reloading for a long time, but shotgun, not metallic cartridges. A new gun purchase sparked a renewed interest in reloading and, after much research I decided that I wanted a Star Universal. I found and purchased one that is very nice. Now it's time to use it!  The question I have regards the charge bar. The machine was set up for .45 ACP, taper crimp etc. as I received it. The charge bar is in a 00 housing, but the bar itself doesn't have any markings. The bar appears to have a removable bushing (press fit) only I don't know what charge it is, and/or where to buy alternative bushings. I was told that Bonanza or Redding bushings will fit, and I saw one post on this forum refer to Hornady bushings. Well, I have some Hornady bushings, and while they are the correct diameter to fit, they are way too deep (thick) for the charge bar. I supppose I could cut them down, but a better solution would be to find a source for the correct ones. I have searched the catalogs of all 3 manufacturers above, but to no avail. Can anyone help?

Also, although my Universal came complete to reload .45 ACP, 2 parts are missing. The cam safety, and the case feeder plastic tube. I may not be able to use the cam safety anyway because of the taper crimp station, but a source for either of these parts would be appreciated. Thanks, Steve :)

TDO'NEILL

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2005, 05:48:13 pm »
oldtimer

I have a charge bar that has the name aces stamped in it. It has a removable bushing that is made from .500 dia. x 5/16 thick brass rod. I made several sizes by boring different size holes in rod. Which would give me different powder weights. I think it is very handy. Later someone made a charge bar with  inserts with two different sized diameters. They will be more difficult to make.
Go to ebay from time to time someone is selling charge bars.
I am planning on making adjustable charge bars over the winter.
I currently offer indexers and case feeders with an EZ loader.
Enjoy the
TDO'NEILL

TDO'NEILL

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2005, 06:00:39 pm »
oldtimer
I just got off ebay someone has 2 charge bars plus some parts. You could modify the charge bars at a later date. Go to star reloaders.
TDO'NEILL

oldtimer

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2005, 07:09:30 pm »
Thanks for the tip, but I just searched ebay and can't find the item you're referring to. Could you send the link.

Steve

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2005, 05:44:24 pm »
There is another member of the fourm, Richard Daniels who makes adjustable charge bars.  Its probably better than trying to gather an assortment of charge bars via ebay auctions.   You can contact Richard via Private Message, or email.  Just look for him on the member list.  

John Paul Jones used to have a stock of powder slides and may still.  He often sells things on ebay under the name star0reloader0mentors.  He includes his email address in his listings.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com