Author Topic: Getting a Roll Crimp to copy .38SPL 148gr HBWC Factory Wadcutter  (Read 11198 times)

eclam

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Is the Lifetyme combination seating / crimping able to roll crimp ?

I'm starting to shoot the 52 for BE and I'm getting a lot grief
feeding.  I have followed the wisdom to shorten the OAL to match
the reference factory round I have here (Winchester Match).

The only thing I can't duplicate is the roll.

Jep

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Getting a Roll Crimp to copy .38SPL 148gr HBWC Factory Wadcutter
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 02:16:37 pm »
Hello:
  My 52 worked good with a taper crimp .  The die was supplied by a member of the forum and was beautiful work.
Shoot Good
Jep

CLL1975

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 06:40:03 pm »
I shot competition PPC for some years ... When I started I got a 38 spl. star through defalt .. the original person who ordered it couldn't pay for it ( divorce) Cost me almost a months pay ...$500.00 .. had the cash once in my life when I needed. 

I shot 500 to 1000 rounds a week during shooting season .. components were cheap compared to factory rounds.  Anything would be in the x ring at 25 yards and in .. But 50 yards was something else.  I settled on Zero 148 grain HBWC's ... They seemed good up close ...

I browed a ranson rest and set it up at the range .. I took my Star and all components  with it.  I set up a target (B27 ) at 50 yards .. I shot 4 consecutive 24 shot groups with WW factory 148 grain HBWC's .. all groups printed inside the X ring at 50... now I had my test group. 

I set up my Star on back of my truck and tried to reproduce the WW loads .. 2.8 Bullseye ..many seating depths and crimps .. no good .. on to 2.6 .. better .. but not good enough ... 2.7 bullseye .. started to get really good groups ... played seating depth and crimps .. finally .. after 2 or 3 hundred rounds .. 2,7 bullseye and the right crimp and depth .. using once fired brass I shot many 24 shot groups much better than WW factory.

It took all afternoon, but I came away with the belief that a Star and the right components would produce rounds better than Factory ammunition

Even when ...later .. I could afford factory I used my Star

Take your time and you can produce a fantastic bullet from your machine... hope this helped

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 11:38:59 am »
Greetings,

The seating die "usually" has a roll crimp profile in it. I prefer to crimp at the last station as a separate operation. Buy a spare seating/crimping die and remove the seating stem.

Cheers,

Dave