Author Topic: priming difficulties (.32 Long)  (Read 11734 times)

jjessip

• Active Members
    • View Profile
priming difficulties (.32 Long)
« on: August 11, 2008, 05:24:05 pm »
I am having some difficulties in priming for the .32 Long. About 20-30% of the primers tend to go in slightly crooked and are somewhat distorted along one side of the primer cup. I have cleaned out the primer assembly but still have some difficulties with this. When lowering the handle, I often feel some resistance near the bottom of the stroke. Also, slight resistance to the travel of the primer slide often occurs about 1/2-way in. I am using Winchester small pistol primers.

I read over the instructions for adjusting the primer slide by bending the cam (p/n 49) in or out, but that doesn't seem to make sense. The cam, which is attached by a screw to the toolhead, is a sturdy part not easily bent.

I had no difficulty when loading .38 Spcl, but it seems to occur when switching over to the .32. Should I clean out the primer slide raceway near the main shaft? I have tried both my primer assembies, which are fairly new, and still have the same problem.

Thanks,
John Jessip
jjessip

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: priming difficulties (.32 Long)
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 07:31:57 pm »
Someone else please speak up if you have any ideas regarding jjessip's problem.   Here are my thoughts.

jjessip,   If you are not having any problems with primers when you load 38 Special, than it doesn't sound like it's a problem with your primer assembly.   Bending the cam adjusts the timing of the primer slide relative to the primer punch.  If the primer punch is coming up and binding on the primer slide because the primer slide is not in far enough, or is too far in, then bend the cam until it's right.....but if your not having a problem  with 38 Special than it is probably adjusted properly.

The only other thing I can think of that could cause a problem like this is if there is a miss alignment of the case and the primer punch.  Are you using a Star  32 S&W Shell Plate.  If so, it should be marked 32 S&W on the bottom.   Are your shell base locators adjusted correctly?   They should be adjusted in as far as they will go while still allowing clearance to turn the shell plate.

One other possibility.   I recently had a batch of Winchester primers where the anvil was sitting up higher than usual.  As the slide moved the primer along, the anvil would catch on the under side of the primer socket and deform the anvil (causing some resistance) and would sometimes cock the primer. 

Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

jjessip

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2008, 04:37:41 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions.
Yes, it is a Star .32 S&W shell plate and I am careful in adjusting the shell locating straps.
I'll try some Federal small pistol primers. It seems the Winchester anvils may have been a bit high and sometimes restricted the movement of the primer slide a bit.
jjessip

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2008, 07:40:23 pm »
I had the same thoughts about a mismatched or misaligned Shell Plate that could be a source of your problems. I concur with the simple (possible) solution of trying another brand of small pistol primers. The Olin brand has been traditionally very good but I have seen some changes in the color as well as the configuration of newer lots of the WSP. The drag at the indicated point in the cycle would seem to indicate a primer related problem. Do the bottoms of your seated primers have a swaged "bevel" on one side?

If your problem is solved by the mere substitution of a different brand of primers, then please share that information with all of us.

Good Luck, Brad /aka/ 21-50.

starman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 02:03:41 pm »
just for a test take the primers out of the brass then put a slight chamfer  on the brass where the primer goes just break the edge this is what I do,  like when you use mil. brass 38 or 45 good luck

jjessip

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 12:36:05 pm »
My shellplate seems to be a genuine Star. It is marked (star symbol) 32

After thinking about it, I may have had the shellplate installed upside down. I believe the shellplate should be installed so that the side with the larger relief cutouts for the shell positions faces upwards, which corresponds to the diameter of the die bodies. This was not mentioned in the instructions I have. It is a bit confusing since both sides have similar bevels. (Was it usual factory practice to stamp factory markings on the side which should be facing down?)

I thoroughly disassembled and cleaned the press, paying particular attention to the detent ball and spring under the shellplate. I also tighted the primer rocker arm screw and set the seating depth to around 0.003" below flush.

The person who owns a local reloading shop said the primer pockets of my commerical cases were well beveled. He said Winchester or CCI primers are a better choice than Federal, since Federal primer cups have a somewhat sharper profile and may be more likely to hang up in progressive presses. He said my lot of Winchester primers looked fine.

So far, everything seems to be working fine with both Winchester and CCI primers.

Thanks,
John Jessip
jjessip

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 12:53:53 am »
Are you using the same headstamp brass? Reaming the primer pockets, try a few. Task specific tools are available. See reloading catalogs. I suggest reaming as the 38's primed OK. The need for reaming does not seem likely however the analysis that the pockets are OK may not be correct.

A quick test for timing would be to place a piece of tape on the primer arm as a shim. This is not a perm fix but an easy test.

High anvils usually create a noticeable drag at the start of the stroke, even a jam or a "hitch". I use washers made from shim stock in the mounting screws for the primer tube base to create additional clearance. I have encountered this problem with win small or large as well as other brands altho I strongly favor win strongly. CCI's should be avoided in the star.

Get back to us on your progress and the solution. This all good info...though it's not a good experience while the problem exists!

Ron