Author Topic: Need to Pull Bullets from 300 rounds  (Read 11723 times)

wv109323

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Need to Pull Bullets from 300 rounds
« on: August 08, 2016, 10:46:57 pm »
 I needed to load some .38 Special for my shooting. The press had maybe 1/2 of the hopper with Win. WST that had set there for about 3 weeks. I filled the hopper and dropped a few charges and weighted them. ( into a fired case and then dumped into scale pan) They were as needed at 3.5 gns. of WST. That is go to load load for a 158 gn. cast bullet. I have an adjustable powder slide.
 I loaded 100 rounds and then refilled the hopper. I noticed nothing unusual. I loaded the second 100 rounds and refilled the hopper. I thought it took a little less powder than expected but I was pouring out of a 4 lb. jug.
 I loaded the third MTM ammo tray of 100 rounds. I used a fired case to capture the powder dropped when the last two bullets were seated, so that all 100 rounds could be loaded. I went to dump the captured powder back into the press hopper . There was no powder. I tried again and no powder. I open the hopper and pushed the powder down ,still no powder when the press handle was stroked.
 I brought the handle down and released the handle to jar the hopper. There was a large discharge of powder from the powder funnel. I started pulling bullets and weighting powder charges. The ones of the first 100 rounds weighted correct of of the 2-3 rounds that I pulled the bullet. On the second 100 I pulled a few rounds and found powder charges from 0 to 3.5 grains. No powder in the rounds of the third box.
 After powder came out of funnel powder was weighted a the normal 3.5 grains.
 I am afraid that some of the rounds may have double or triple charges. Has anyone found that WST powder to bridge in the powder funnel? What can be done to prevent?
 Also a couple months ago I had a round that was noticeably heavy in recoil. I could not figure out why. Now I suspect a heavy load due to powder bridging and then a heavy heavy load.
 I am shooting a S&W Model 14-6.
Thoughts?

wv109323

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Need to Pull Bullets from 300 rounds
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 11:43:19 pm »
 I talked to Hodgdon powder today. The representative thought the WST was a extremely light powder and that the powder was bridging in the .38 cal powder drop tube. He recommended Titegroup. I would caution WST in a Star press loading through a small powder drop tube.
 As far as pulling bullets,I could not do it with a C&H collet puller. The collet would not clamp on the exposed lead tight enough to pull the bullet. In a Pacific press, I lift the round up full stroke and clamp a set of Vise-Grips onto the bullet. I then drop the ram and the bullet is pulled. The Vise-Grips need to have serrated jaws to clamp on the lead bullet. The press head needs to be thin enough so as when the ram is lifted the lead bullet is high enough to clamp onto. I tried my RCBS Rockchucker but I could not get the pliers clamped onto the lead bullet.
 i have pulled 70 bullets and no powder was found in any.

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 10:54:15 am »
Greetings,

I have used WST ever since it replaced 452AA.

Never had any issues with metering. Actually, it meters very well. I load the 32 S&W Long with 1.62 grains. 38 Special gets 2.8 grains. the 45 ACP uses 4.3 grains. Again, never had a problem.

I always remove the powder from the hopper when I am done loading.

Cheers,

Dave

wv109323

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 06:22:29 pm »
 I pulled all the 300 bullets and the powder flow quite after about 130 rounds. It went from normal load to nothing in about 2-3 rounds. This could be the top layer of powder left in the hopper that for some reason caused the bridging to occur.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 10:07:23 am »
wv109323

Although WST is not one of my Go-To powders, I have used it a number of times and haven't had any problems with metering.  In fact I would say it metered very well.

My reloading area tends to be cool and dry thanks in part to being located in the basement, and to my wife's love of air conditioning.   You didn't say where you are located, but if you are in an area of high humidity I could see where you might get some "glumps"  (technical term) in your powder, especially if it's allowed to sit in your powder magazine for an extended period.

The only time I ever experienced bridging with a Star was in trying to use Varget to load .223 in a Dillon Super Star conversion.   It just wouldn't go through the very very narrow powder spout.

Bruce Williams
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

joe3320

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 10:12:39 am »
One may wish to use a baffle in the powder tube.

Here is a link to the drawing and measurements for the:

POWDER HOPPER BAFFLE

http://www.ray-vin.com/tech/hack/baffle.pdf

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 10:16:03 am »
Like Dave I always remove powder from the hopper after reloading. I also shake the container of powder before filling the powder hopper. Never had anything but perfect loads thru my Star in 250,000 rounds. My hopper has a Star baffle.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 10:20:13 am by tony barone »

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 10:18:03 am »
I second Bruce's use in a cool dry basement. Controlled humidity does make a difference.

Unlike Dave, though I do not drain the powder each and other very time. Depends on how often I reload and powder changes over. I do however always weight the first few to isure consistency. Also weigh at least one after every 50 just in case.
Never had to pull due to powder yet.

Kenn
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 11:37:22 am »
Greetings,

Genuine Star Powder Hoppers have a powder baffle built in.

It is the Aluminum piece just above the brass taper threaded part. Assuming, of course, you have the clear plastic tube.

Cheers,

Dave

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 12:32:28 pm »
Even the anodized aluminum powder magazines (and even earlier nickel plated brass) have the built in powder baffle.  The baffle was a very early improvement.   I have two early "Pat. Pending" Progressives.  The earliest one does not have the baffle, but the slightly later one does.

Bruce Williams
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

wv109323

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 04:59:36 pm »
 I have the anodized aluminum hopper and it does NOT have the Baffle. I replaced the hopper when I bought this press. The press had been damaged, the hopper and the piece it threads into had to be replaced. I also went from the "O" powder slides to the more popular "OO".
 I will make a baffle and install.
 The press is in an atmosphere controlled environment. My man cave is above my garage and is heated and cooled by the heat pump. I live in WV and we had humid weather during this time frame.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 05:22:18 pm »
If I had a nickel for every time someone told me "mine doesn't have a powder baffle"..........................

I'm quite certain it does, it's just not what you were expecting to see.  The powder baffle is the aluminum disk that sits on top of the brass (sometimes zinc) powder magazine base.  When you look inside your anodize aluminum powder magazine, what you see is the aluminum powder baffle.

See attached pictures;

Bruce Williams
Star Machine Works
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2016, 10:50:21 pm »
Bruce is spot on as usual.

I have pointed out the same to a couple of people who were expecting to see a pyramid bar or triangular shaped baffle.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

wv109323

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 09:50:52 pm »
Let me tell another chapter of this story.
Still worried about this incident I did one other thing. I got a very fine sifter and poured the jug of WST through it. I was looking for a lump or any thing foreign to the powder.
I found a fabric of carpet in the powder. In my reloading room I have a remnant of carpet that I use in the high traffic areas. This has just cut edges where it was removed from main piece. It sheds on the edges.
Somehow a "fur ball" of that carpet got into the powder. I assume at some point I dropped the lid and either through static electricity or some of the adhesive on the seal picked up a fur ball and it got into the powder. It was not noticeable when the powder was poured out into a container only when sifted through a fine screen did I find it.
 This may well be the culprit with the WST.
 Also with the second incident with the Bullseye it was a sliver of the seal of the powder lid that got into the powder. It caused the stoppage of powder on the other press. Both are very weird things to happen so close to each other. Did I mention that Mr. Murphy lives next door and all he does is sit around and figure out what can go wrong.