Author Topic: So why was the Progressive made so long?  (Read 7244 times)

3035Odell

• Active Members
    • View Profile
So why was the Progressive made so long?
« on: June 24, 2014, 02:32:43 pm »
I read thru much of the history and I'm sure this has been asked, so sorry if my question has been asked and answered before. Why if the Progressive was superseded with the improved Universal did Star continue to offer the .38 Progressive machine apparently at least into the late 70's?  The cost difference was never that significant between them and it's hard to imagine the Progressives would sell over the Universal?

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: So why was the Progressive made so long?
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 03:07:06 pm »
I wouldn't say that the Universal superseded the Progressive.   The Universal actually came out within a year or two of the Progressive.   The Progressive continued to be offered through 1980.  It disappeared from the Star price list in 1981.

It wouldn't surprise me if the fate of the Progressive had something to do with the migration of police and Bullseye shooters from revolvers to autoloaders.   Someone more knowledgeable than I would know if the dates coincide.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

333OKH

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 03:52:49 pm »
I agree with Bruce, I think the change in Weapons had a lot to do with it, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member

3035Odell

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 06:50:10 pm »
Ya Bruce you're right, supersede was not the right word since it didn't really replace the Progressive press.

Also I think I was forgetting how dominate the .38 special was in the day so there must have been enough sales to keep it around.