Author Topic: Rifle machine, recent find  (Read 24724 times)

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: Rifle machine, recent find
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2011, 10:51:32 am »
Very interesting and nice pictures.
Looks like a great project.
I particularly like the idea of a whole block insert for powder, rather than the round inserts on most other adjustable bars. The rounds ones work well, but I think the block inserts give a little bit more area in which to alter for changes, etc.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2011, 02:31:02 pm »
Thanks for the feedback guys.  In regards to the powder system, I also thought it was kind of a good idea to be able to make multiple blocks and customize them for a specific powder charge.  I have no idea what powder the machine was set up to use, there are no initials that I can find on the bar or block that identifies the powder or the weight.  If the individual was loading for gas operated service rifle (AR-15) possibly IMR 4895?  I am not aware if there is any magic load for .223 like the classic 2.8 gr BE on the .38 machines.  If any one has thoughts on this let me know.  I am thinking that ultimately I may have to test a few "likely candidate" powders in the measure and see what the drop weight is.

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2011, 03:21:34 pm »
Ellord told me decades ago that they never wanted to make the rifle unit BUT the U.S. government insisted.  They wanted them for the Cambodians so that they could reload 223 ammunition.  It has been way to many years for me to be certain now but I think a 308 version might have also been made.

Last time I knew, and it was 13+ years ago, Ron Peterson Guns in Albuqeurque still had mine and my straightline.  You might call and ask but if you do be sure to talk to Ron.
former progressive press collector

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2011, 12:59:22 pm »
Last time I knew there was one for sale at Ron Peterson Guns in Albuquerque as well as a Star straightline.  If you call, talk to Ron.  The clerks wouldn't know anything about it.
former progressive press collector

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2011, 08:36:51 pm »
Ken, Thanks for the contact information.  I was doing a bit of browsing through old editions of Handloaders digest over the weekend and I found a couple of interesting things.  The back of these volumes always had listings of equipment and manufacturers, as well as prices.  Sometimes these were not up to the minute but they did give a reflection on the relative prices of different manufacturers products. 
Anyway, this was the 17th edition, 1997 copyright.  At this time I think the Star may not have been actively manufactured anymore.  However, the listings under reloading presses had a Star Universal Pistol press for $947.00.  Extra tool heads were $367.00.  Also listed is a Star Universal Rifle press for $1,500.00 (!!)  The description was for a press with a "length of stroke to handle most popular large rifle calibers.  Shell plate and expander plug included, dies not included."  Die threads 7/8-14.  I guess you could order your caliber and set up the press with the dies of your choice.  For reference, the same book lists a Dillon RL1050 for $1079.00.  Guess who won.

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2011, 08:43:39 pm »
Makes you wonder how many rifle presses were actually made and sold.
For the ones that were, I wonder:   Where are they now?
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2014, 09:20:13 am »
Reposting Joatmon's pictures which disappeared from the thread.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com