Author Topic: M/A vs Bruster - Auto Index  (Read 16080 times)

RickEickhoff

• View Profile
M/A vs Bruster - Auto Index
« on: January 06, 2004, 04:34:48 pm »
Any thoughts or feelings - pros vs cons on these after market auto index tools.

As I understand both are no longer in business.

Are there any used ones floating around for sale?

What was the original price retail price of each?

Look forward to hearing your feedback.

Thanks

Rick Eickhoff

starrel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starreloaders.com
New Indexers/Case Feeders
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2004, 12:28:51 pm »
You may wish to contact member TD'ONEILL about these as I know he has new ones and is looking for customers.

I have no further details at this time.
Admin StarReloaders.com

Ross Chesley

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chesleyconsultants.com
M-A Systems is still going strong!!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2004, 10:42:54 am »
I called M-A Systems today, they are still in business.  :D  You might have thought they were gone because they moved a couple years ago. I spoke with a very nice person who is sending me their current catalog. They do not have a website.

:arrow: Starrel, how about contacting M-A to ask if they'd let you post the current catalog info on the site? :?:

Here's how you can reach them for a catalog and more information on their products for Star reloaders:

M-A Systems
PO Box 894
Pryor, OK 74362

(918) 824-3705 Phone
(918) 824-3710 Fax

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 07:52:09 pm »
Star made one but decided against selling it because of the wear it would put on the machine.

Had a Brewster.  Like all their products it was, well, unfortunate.  Not as dangerous as their primer turret but not something I'd recommend.

Had another.  Maybe the other brand you indicated but it had been so long I've forgotten.

HATE, absolutely hate, auto indexers.  I've tried a lot of them and hate them all.  The best are more trouble then they are worth.  The worst cause excessive wear.
former progressive press collector

Robert L. Kosty

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2005, 11:21:11 pm »
Just an update. M-A Systems no longer has anything for STAR reloaders.
Dom Cunningham doesn't answer his messages. Any body have any suggestions where I can get parts?

[no e-mail]@.rr.com

eaglemike

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://eagle-m-e.com
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2005, 04:00:59 am »
I will be making some parts for the Stars, in the future. Shell plates will be first. I've made and modified dies in the past, and I know who is or was making them for Bill C. I'll check into that, too. Please be patient, things on the other end of my business may slow down during the winter, and I'll have time to make stuff. I hate to see a Star sitting idle for parts.......

BTW, I spoke to Bill Brenizer, who was Elard's partner at Star since 1945, the other day. His health is not real good, so please send him some good thoughts........

all the best,

Mike
Eagle Mfg & Eng since 1990

rdebord

• Active Members
  • Rod DeBord - VSSA
    • View Profile
Re: M/A vs Bruster - Auto Index
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 05:30:13 pm »
I use an indexer I bought from Tom O'neill. It works very, very well.

He is also a very fine gentleman who backs up what he sells and provides wonderful service.

I was a neophyte in setting my Universal up at the beginning. Tom was very patient and helpful. I recommend you give him a call. He has case feeders and a case loader as well.

Rod DeBord
Richmond, VA
R. DeBord
Richmond VA
Member: VSSA, Cavalier Rifle & Pistol

steven d. ogden

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: M/A vs Bruster - Auto Index
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2006, 01:53:58 pm »
M-A developed their indexer from a Wemco-Williams machine I had.  The thing was a Rube Goldberg looking device, but it functioned quite well and did not spill powder even at high density loads in 44 mag.  I probably loaded a several million rounds on my 45 Star and the only thing to break was the hook.  I learned how to duplicate the hook out of spring steel.  M-A had a companion device called lthe Eject-ease (the indexer was called the Roto-Ease) which was a great help: you never touched the caartridge after taper crimping.  Again, the only thing to break was the spring which was a tad tricky to duplicate the first time.  Elard Maulk at Star had no use for the Brewster as he believed it wore out the floor of the shellbase.  I don'r remember if he ever said anything about the M-A, but the hook did not touch the shellbase, rather it caught one of the indexing holes and pulled the shell plate forward.  Dave Ayers at M-A made very large collators for the ammunitiion manufacturers (like a collator that would feed 4000 375 cases per hour) and sold all his Star stuff to someone.  Dave was literally a professional inventor and once the bugs were worked out of one of his products, he pretty much lost interest in the mere economic rewards of his devices.  M-A also made a case feeder which did not use a spring to feed the case, rather it had twin activating arms that fastened to the guide rod.  My own experience was not satisfactory and I remained with the Hulme although I still have one or two  of the case feeder left.  I do not remember the name, but I'm sure it was sone kind of "Ease". 
sdo