Author Topic: Full resizing die  (Read 10899 times)

glockman

• View Profile
Full resizing die
« on: June 02, 2004, 12:15:13 am »
Dear Star Reloaders, I have a lot of expirience in reloading, but... as there is always a first time for everything, I am reloading for the first time with my Star Machine. I saw it very carefully, but yet didnt get to reload with it.
While I was looking at the last stage, where the bullet is reloaded and ejected to a hole, (am I correct?), could it be possible to install there a full length resizing die for 9mm, .380 auto, .40 S&W and .45 ACP calibers for example?

Thank you very much for your help.
Glockman
If guns are outlaw, only outlaw people will have guns!

bummer7

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Last station
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004, 04:48:48 pm »
Glockman,
I think you're asking about the last station.  if your tool head has the threaded hole at the last station, you can install a full lenght resizing die there.  Most Star owners install a taper crimp die in this station to finnish the case.  Some users will roll crimp at the bullet seating station and then drop the round through the press to a box below.  Either way, your choice.  
-s

Ross Chesley

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chesleyconsultants.com
Dies Options for the Last Star Reloader Station
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004, 11:51:47 am »
Bummer7 is right, the last station can be setup for use in several ways. I can add that there are taper crimp options for tool heads without the threaded last station hole.

Early models have a 3/8" diameter smooth bore hole and accept taper crimp dies made just for this setup. I am not aware of anyone currently producing these dies but many people have made their own or turned down a standard die and installed a 3/8" shaft. If you seek original taper crimp dies try Paul Jones, James Haverfield. Quite possibly another member may have an extra they'll sell you if you post your request.  

If you are not upset at modifications to your Star tool head, you can drill and tap to use either 11/16-24 threads for Star dies or 7/8-14 threads for standard dies. Many users have done this themselves or gotten a skilled machinist to do it for them.