Author Topic: Reverse Handle to Left Hand side of machine ?  (Read 11218 times)

gunsmither

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gunsmithertools.com
Reverse Handle to Left Hand side of machine ?
« on: March 16, 2004, 11:03:03 pm »
Howdy Star People. I just joined this Great Forum. What a wealth of information on these wonderful machines. These babies were built like old time Winchester's; made to last!

I have a friend of mine who just turned 81 recently. He's still an active shooter and reloader after over 60 years at it. He owns, and uses 3 or 4 Star's, but the Arthritis in his hands makes it difficult for him to seat a bullet anymore.

I am pondering the possibility of swapping the handle over to the left side, and rotate the machine 90 degrees counterclockwise, so he can more easily seat his bullets, without reaching around the back side of the machine. The crank shaft seems long enough to do this, and still clear the case feed tube.

I have been unable to remove the left link connecting arm(?) out of the crank shaft (Part #62). Both of these link connecting arms(?) have one flat side that straddles the crank shaft bearing (Part #60) sides. They must be a shrink fit (?), or taper fit I'm assuming. I tried tapping it out, but it will not budge. Does anyone know how these are assembled, and any suggestions about how to remove the left hand one, so I can reverse the handle ? Any help will be most appreciated.

Thanks for this Great Website! - "gunsmither"  8)

starrel

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • http://www.starreloaders.com
Moving Handles
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2004, 05:42:17 pm »
Moving handles would be a challenge without use of a press to remove the pieces. Afterwards, if you examine the clearance again, you will find that the Hulme Case Feeder itself will be in the way of the handle at the downstroke. This would require shortening the handle (making leverage even more difficult.)

Perhaps a solution you might consider is to try the original recommendations for setting up the Star and then add a longer handle to provide more leverage for seating the bullet. The full instructions are available for download on the website under manuals, but here's the section I'd recommend:

INSTALLING MACHINE

In order that you may have the correct position for reloading, you should build a bench by using a board 4 feet or more in length; about 2 inches thick and 12 inches wide, using 3 or 4 legs long enough to make the bench about the same height as a chair. In the center of the bench build up a portion 5 inches high, making holes in the top for the loaded shells and fired primers to drop through into trays set under the reloader and on top of the bench; then bolt the reloader down on the top of the raised portion.

The raised portion should extend out far enough to the left of the reloader to have room to set two trays containing empty shells and bullets.

This arrangement will leave room enough on one end of the bench for the operator to sit while reloading and should you have a helper, he can sit on the other end.

Hopefully some other members will have additional ideas on solutions they've seen and used.
Admin StarReloaders.com

gunsmither

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gunsmithertools.com
Reversing handle
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2004, 07:34:12 pm »
Thanks for the reply starrel. I'm not sure what case feeder he has, as he didn't bring it with the main machine when he delivered it to my shop. He's on vacation at the moment, so I'll get the rest of it when he returns. Thanks for pointing that out, though my preliminary measurements indicate it should clear the feed tube, and the lower portion of the feed mechanism which is attached at the base.

I contacted Bill Cunningham at Star Machine Works, and he informed me that the pins are a press fit, and cautioned regarding re- installing pin, as any mis- alignment would bind machine because of the flat that rides the edge of crankshaft bearing head. Excellent advice. He has the tooling to do this, and I may send it to him if I can't get it out.

I have access to a friends hydraulic press, so I will attempt removing it and reversing handle, and see how it goes. Thanks again! Joe  :)

Ray Jones

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Reverse Handle to Left Hand side of machine ?
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2004, 12:16:14 pm »
It could be stating the obvious, but, years ago I found the best (safest) position for me to use my Star was that I bolt it down "off square", so I am Facing between the case feed and resize/decap die. This gives me the best view in case of an upside down case feed or problem at the resize or primer station, yet made it easy for me to hand feed the bullet. I have roller handles on both machines and the reach for me was "Wrong". To fix this I reversed the handle to be across the machine and then my hand was at resize die area, on the down stroke, and I could easily place the bullet. To make the handle work without destroying my knuckles was a simple bend of the handle shaft to give me 2" of clearance. 1st bend - 41/4" from the inserted end, the bent part is 21/2" and then from their bend back parallel to the insert end. This puts my hand right where you are trying to put it without disturbing any of the machine. Good luck -Ray