Author Topic: Powder shut-off reaon?  (Read 13019 times)

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Powder shut-off reaon?
« on: July 17, 2008, 04:19:09 pm »
Have seen some posts for a powder shutoff. Am wondering the reasons for wanting one. I suppose it would make it easier to change powder bars, mid loading, but that is something not often done, or is it?
In the few instances, (first set up for caliber change) where there may not be a case in that position in the plate, I have dumped powder into a small scale pan or unfired case and then back into the powder tube.   
Does it provide easier head changeover, or other benefit, or, ?
Not being critical of those wanting one, just curious.

Kenn
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

45 ACP

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Powder shut-off reaon?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2008, 05:49:32 pm »
I saw one of these for sale a while back on ebay from Paul (starmentors)...I thought about it but came up with the same idea as you. For what? If I remember right it went for over 100.00 bucks...not worth it! Pete

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2008, 08:55:42 pm »
Personally, I never remove the powder magazine from the powder slide housing.  I just pull the head off, turn it upside down and pour the contents back into the powder container.  Then I switch powder slides while the tool head is off if I need to.  The whole operation takes 30 seconds or so.

I have one of those powder drain blocks, but I never use it.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

starman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2008, 11:37:54 pm »
I have been looking for one for a number of years. It is made of plastic with a slide that goes back and forth off and on. How easy is that? to shut powder off.

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 09:14:19 am »
Some good replies with differing opinions.
I have never used one, or really seen a need for it. However, I thought, that since a number of inquiries abound, there may be a reason or benefit I did not realize.
A couple of times, probably can count on one hand, I have inadvertently dumped some powder onto the shell plate, but this was/is a seldom encountered problem to justify a shutoff. I would be more concerned with accidentally not loading some rounds without powder.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

starman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 11:01:07 am »
Powder shut off works great it is built into the powder magazine, that is why Richard Daniels makes the powder drain works about the same but you got the powder drain under the powder magazine and above the powder slide housing I must say Daniels did his homework on that one, I think it is made out of brass.

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2008, 01:30:42 pm »
It seems to me the best reason for the use of the cutoff would be savings in powder costs. Of course this would vary, depending on how many rnds were run before realizing the durn thing was shutoff!!

Seriously, the drain is prob the best solution if the user percieves a problem.

Ron