Author Topic: Powder Bars  (Read 13994 times)

NE450No2

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Powder Bars
« on: May 19, 2008, 07:51:21 pm »
Gentlemen, this is a great site.
The Star Loader is one of the best man made machines.

I have been using a Star Universal since 1969. I used to shoot Bullseye Pistol.

I have not used it much in the last 10 years or so, but I have started to use it again.

I load 44 Mag on it and I have been advised that the "new" 2400 is much faster than the "old" 2400.

I have a little of the old 2400 left, but my plan is to get some of the new 2400 and develop some loads the old fashion way, and then get the proper powder bars.

Where can new powder bars be found? I have the spacers for the larger charge bars, ie 22 gr of 2400.

I have read where [no e-mail]@ to 19 of the new powder is the same pressure of 22gr. of the old.

I know there are some new powders out there, but I am probably to much of an "Elmer Keithite" to change.

Although I did use H-110 for a while, and would still user it for 270 to 300gr bullets, but Unique and 2400 have served me well over the years.

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: Powder Bars
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 09:01:31 pm »
First you can try looking on ebay.
Some various bars there time to time.

Also, there are two members on this site that may be able to help.
1. rbwillnj  He has various options including spacers, some bars, etc. Try sending him a pm.
2 Steve Ogden. Have to look his mailing address up. Mailbox usually full.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

NE450No2

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 09:33:50 pm »
NYKenn

Thanks for the info. PM's sent to both.

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 09:24:56 am »
Not sure Steve Ogdens mailbox will take messages. Usually full.
May need to write him in California.
The info is on this site, just need to search for it.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

NE450No2

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2008, 01:18:11 am »
NYKenn

Thanks again.

I sent e mails I have already been contacted by some of them.

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2008, 03:56:08 pm »
Rather than accumulating bars the best course, in my opinion, is to drill one (bar) for Hornady bushings. They are readily obtained online with the help of a table indicating bushing no.'s & the various powders chg's they drop.

Merely obtain the correct bar, 5/8" if mem serves but verify that, drill or have drilled the bar, order the bushings & a no. of "blank" spares & the fun begins!

Ron

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 04:44:46 pm »
Its a 1/2" powder bar with a 1/2" powder slide housing base and a 1/2 " hole in the bar to accept hornaday pistol bushings. Buy all of the bushings and a hand reamer and the possibilities are limitless.

NE450No2

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 08:20:45 pm »
Thanks for the info guys. I have a powder bar on order from another member that takes Hornady bushings, but I do not think it will be able to dispense the larger charges of 2400 and H-110. Looks like [no e-mail]@ 15.5 is the largest bushing in that thickness.

I will try it without any bushings as well.

If I can get a couple of the 5/8" powder bars I am going to have them modified to be adjustable.

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 09:55:30 pm »
I would look at the lrgest bushing to determine how much brass is left for custom enlarement to be sure. I'm not a fan of the adjustables. Consistency. I don't care for the idea of a locknut coming loose when max chg's are involved.

I use 4.2 of bullseye for .45 in bullseye comp. I have a bushing which drops just that-no need for day to day adj for conditions..humidity or whatever.
Ron

NE450No2

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2008, 03:47:15 am »
star73

I agree with you 100%, a fixed powder slide is the proper way to go.
If Star Machine Works was still in business I would order a powder slide in 17 to 19.5 gr of 2400 in 1/2 grain increments.

Sad thing is, that is not the case.

So, I am trying to get adjustable measures to throw the powder charges I need.

If I can find the fixed slides in the charges I need then so much the better.