Author Topic: 45 ACP 'Major' loads in the Star.  (Read 16010 times)

slowpoke10

• View Profile
45 ACP 'Major' loads in the Star.
« on: October 20, 2005, 06:48:40 am »
Using the H&G 68 bullet and a Star Universal Progressive Loader, what is a recommended powder charge to make 'Major' in IPSIC, IDPA?

eaglemike

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://eagle-m-e.com
45 ACP 'Major' loads in the Star.
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2005, 12:11:50 am »
It depends on what powder you want to use. What gun are you shooting? What length barrel? Using the 200 grain #68, you only have to go 825fps, plus a little to be sure you'll make chrono. I'm pretty fond of Hogdon Clays, as it is very clean burning. Overall length, and crimp will also affect velocity. Lots of people like 231, bullseye, 700X, Accurate#2. A little slower, not quite as clean, but lower pressure at the same velocity are Unversal Clays , titegroup, Unique, accurate#5. In .45acp, there's a lot of possibilities.....

Buy a loading manual. If you are shooting a 1911, remember to have enough crimp the bullet does not push back into the cases when it hits the ramp. Overall length is also important for reliable feeding.

Did I mention - buy a loading manual???

Some guy named Ken Waters has done a bunch of load development, and his manual has long been one of my favorites....  :D

all the best,

Mike
Eagle Mfg & Eng since 1990

45 ACP

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: 45 ACP 'Major' loads in the Star.
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 10:11:47 am »
It depends on what powder you want to use. What gun are you shooting? What length barrel? Using the 200 grain #68, you only have to go 825fps, plus a little to be sure you'll make chrono. I'm pretty fond of Hogdon Clays, as it is very clean burning. Overall length, and crimp will also affect velocity. Lots of people like 231, bullseye, 700X, Accurate#2. A little slower, not quite as clean, but lower pressure at the same velocity are Unversal Clays , titegroup, Unique, accurate#5. In .45acp, there's a lot of possibilities.....

Buy a loading manual. If you are shooting a 1911, remember to have enough crimp the bullet does not push back into the cases when it hits the ramp. Overall length is also important for reliable feeding.

Did I mention - buy a loading manual???

Some guy named Ken Waters has done a bunch of load development, and his manual has long been one of my favorites....  :D

all the best,

Mike

Just going over some of the older posts and saw this! Ken? What manual? For sale? Thanks, pete

ed looney

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 09:32:54 am »
Pete, Amazon.com has the book by Waters, for about $45 to $50, a little pricy but well worth it. Go on Amazon and look up "pet loads".     ed

45 ACP

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 10:20:57 pm »
Thanks Ed...I just picked up a copy through Amazon ($33.50) + free shipping! Sometime things just turn out right! Pete