Author Topic: double powder loads  (Read 17503 times)

Mike71

• Active Members
    • View Profile
double powder loads
« on: October 13, 2014, 12:29:20 am »
I am confused as how to start with my star reloader each time I cycle the arm the powder drops a charge even if there is no case in that slot. what am I doing wrong. Please help

Mike71
Mike71

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: double powder loads
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2014, 02:12:15 pm »
Mike
Go to this website and down load the Star operator manual.
http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/FIREARMS/
It is a long list, but is in alphbetical order. scan down the list to "Star_progressive_reloader" then
click on "PDF". You can print out the manual or just read the instructions to help You with the
proper sequence to avoid powder spills.

Good Shooting

Lindy

cc656d

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2014, 02:24:00 pm »
Mike

DO NOT PUT POWDER IN THE RESERVIOR UNTILL YOU HAVE A CASE UNDER IT.
Distinguished pistol shot
2600 club
NIB Star
Benefactor member NRA
Life Member Va, Md, WVa, and Fl State Shooting Associations , Life OGCA

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2014, 07:09:48 pm »
Not doing anything wrong. Unlike the Dillon which does not drop powder except when a case is present, the Star will drop anytime you activate the head.

Easy way to eliminate this is to have an empty case on hand that you can insert and manually rotate with the plate so when you begin actual reloading, the powder will drop into it. When you remove it empty the power back in the tube.
If you use a primed case you can just load it. 

If you use just brass, use a nickel case and that will be the reminder. Just leave the spent primer in it t prevent leaking powder.

You can also just hold a case or small scale powder plate under it to collect the powder and then dump it back.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

johnfreeman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 07:20:27 pm »
Good suggestions all.

I use a spent casing painted red as a powder catcher.  I also keep a small supply of primed brass to slip into the press via the post-primer station should I need to synch up the progression.

The best advice I can offer is to remember that if you have powder in your hopper, every time you pull the handle it's going to drop powder.

Welsh Rifleman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 10:55:53 pm »
I have had success with attaching a clear flexible piece of "plastic" tubing onto the powder drop tube with a clamp on the bottom end.  It is about a foot long and drapes over the side of the shell plate.  The powder drops into the tube and when you are finished with your adjustments....you pull it off the drop tube and dump it back into your powder reservoir.

George
NRA Patron
American Single Shot Rifle Association
Texas State Rifle Association
Single Action Shooting Society

Mike71

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 11:02:34 am »
Thank you guys, now it is working just fine. Now I am looking for a 2.7 gr. powder bar.
Mike71

cc656d

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 08:50:31 pm »
Mike
There are 2 different sizes of ( 2.7 )charge bars
Most progressive tools used a bar that was 1/4 "( has a 0 stamped on the side ) , while most Universals used a 3/8 " ( has a 00 stamped on the side.
Cheers
Distinguished pistol shot
2600 club
NIB Star
Benefactor member NRA
Life Member Va, Md, WVa, and Fl State Shooting Associations , Life OGCA

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2014, 08:48:05 pm »
Actually, the "00" is 5/16" thick.   

It has been my experience that Bullseye powder slides drop more than the amount stamped on the slide.   A 2.7 BE slide typically drops about 2.9 grains of Bullseye......at least for the lots of Bullseye I have tried.

I have slides marked 2.7 BE available in both the "0" and "00" size.   I might have some available for lower charge weights as well, maybe one that actually drop 2.7 grains of Bullseye.

Bruce
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Mike71

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 06:44:21 pm »
Thanks for the info, I have a 2.5 bar and it is dropping 3.1 of Bullseye. I think I am going to sell my Phelps which was made in 1955. Then I'm going to buy a Dillon square deal B.

Mike
Mike71

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 07:36:07 pm »
Mike
Give the 550 consideration.
The square deal B is a good press, but think about what you may need or want to do in the future, as well as the features the 500 has. 
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Mike71

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 11:43:17 pm »
I only load pistol ammo, at one time I had a 550 B but gave it to my son who is big into rifle hunting. I think the square deal B will be fine for me. If you know anyone looking for a vintage Phelps send them my way, no reasonable offer will be refused.
Mike71

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2014, 08:26:59 pm »
If only pistol, it should be fine.