Author Topic: 223 reloading  (Read 24773 times)

tabranch

• Active Members
    • View Profile
223 reloading
« on: August 10, 2009, 12:00:21 pm »
I have one of Mike Dillons "Super Star" 223 kits. One of the first he sold.  I do not use the TC carbide or any sizer with the Star for bottle neck or 30 Carbine as I find that my brass needs trimming after sizing.  This means tht I feed preped cases and do the rest of the operation on the Star.  I do the expanding of the 30 Carbine on the Star so that I can slightly flair the cases or not depending on whether or not I am loading cast bullets.
Tom Butler

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: 223 reloading
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 08:56:58 pm »
I would be very interested if you could provide pictures of the individual components of the Dillon Super Star conversion.   I have what I believe is a partial set of the pieces but I'd like to see the rest.   I have dies, but I don't think they are Dillons.  Also, I'd like to see what he did for a powder spout, and where he did the expanding step, and what he used.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

333OKH

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 10:04:32 pm »
Sure would like to see pics, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 10:10:05 pm »
Ditto on the pictures/
Post away!
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

tabranch

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 07:51:54 pm »
The items as mentioned elsewhere, to convert to 223 are: 1) shell plate (.223/.380), 2) dies threaded for the head (11/16X24), 3) small primer setup, 4) powder slide for about 25/26 gr ball powder, 5) powder drop tube, 6) extended/ offset links as shown elsewhere, 7) neck expander similar to anyother.
The Powder measure housing I have has the drop tube swaged into its bottom.  The duplex tube assembly is inserted into the hole normally containing a threaded drop tube.  The duplex tube protrudes  1 1/2"  below the housing and is .370" id with the inner-tube about .180" id recessed about .430".
Tom Butler

tabranch

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 11:57:04 am »
See if the narative makes more sense with these pictures of the 223 powder housing and slide. Tom
Tom Butler

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 04:10:34 pm »
Tom,

Thanks, the pictures help.   I understand the narrow tube swagged into the powder slide housing, I have a similar one that came on a Phelps tool head that I have.  Is the larger tube also attached to the powder slide housing?  Looks like it might be held in place with a set screw.   I assume both tubes are fixed, right?

I have the same 5/8" adjustable powder slide as the one you pictured, but my powder slide housing is a little different than yours.  Mine extends out over the expander hole, and has a small hole centered over the expander hole.  That's why I have had a hard time picturing what Dillon used for an expander.   A picture of the expander and some dimensions would be a great help.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

tabranch

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 04:58:24 pm »
Bruce,
The drop tube assembly seems to be comprised of 2 parts.  The larger outer tube appears to be swaged to the smaller tube assembly which is funnel shaped into the housing with a larger diameter section set screwed to the housing and turned down to the fit inside of a 223 brass. Tom
Tom Butler

tabranch

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 05:07:14 pm »
The expander is a 223 dia nub about .416 long as shown. Tom
Tom Butler

333OKH

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 09:49:50 pm »
Tom, can you show the links laying flat, and give the measurment on the holes, center to center on the links, thanks George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member

tabranch

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 10:30:23 pm »
Link pictures and measurements will take a couple of days to post. Tom
Tom Butler

tabranch

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 08:42:08 pm »
Much to my surprise, the hole spacing is identical on the regular and the .223 linkages.  I have shown the .223 link on top of and beside of a standard link.  The .223 links are contoured to allow clearance from the top as the head is raised thus allowing a slightly longer travel.  One could even use the standard links ground to allow the same clearance at the sacrifice of some strength.  Tom
Tom Butler

333OKH

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2009, 12:27:01 am »
Thanks Tom, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2009, 08:36:54 am »
Tom,  Thanks for the picture of the expander.    Because of the reflection in the picture, I can't see how long the threaded section is, but I assume it's pretty short, since a .223 case actually goes up into the tool head when the tool head is lowered all the way.

You said you purchased one of the first Super Star conversions.   I'm thinking that Dillon must have changed the design of the powder slide housing and expander later on.   I have a copy of one of his ads, and the powder slide housing looks like the one that I have.   Unfortunately, due to the quality of the picture, I can't see what he is using for an expander.   Your expander wouldn't work with my powder slide housing because I wouldn't be able to nut the expander from the top.  Of course I could modify the housing that I have, but I hate to do that.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

tabranch

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2009, 10:40:07 am »
The powder slides clearance over the nut on the expander was taken care of by the use of the Super Stars powder slide housing where the thickness of the bottom is about .325".  The nut is about .2" so there is clearance.  The total length of the expander is about 1" with the top slightly less than flush with the top of the nut. I just noticed that even the standard powder slide housings allow clearance.  Tom
Tom Butler