Author Topic: Amateur Hour  (Read 10005 times)

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Amateur Hour
« on: August 04, 2011, 08:20:33 pm »
All,

Anyone ever see a .45 ACP headstamp of  "TZZ"?  Any information as to origin?

My second Universal in .45 ACP, came with a black #15 sizing die with the word "Perfection" on it.  I don't think it is Star and probably Phelps.  Any information would be greatly appreciated. 
tt

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Amateur Hour
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2011, 09:05:10 pm »
TZZ is Israeli Military.   Pretty good stuff.

As far as I know, Star did not make any Carbide Sizing Dies.   The two most common manufactures of carbide sizing dies for the Star are Lifetyme, and RLS Perfection (Robert L. Shockley?).   Phelps actually made their own carbide sizing dies.  They are marked Phelps.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

angus6

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2011, 09:24:43 pm »
Always get a bunch of the TZZ brass after the Single Stack Nationals each year here, supposed to be great brass

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 12:16:50 pm »
TZZ was issued by the Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) one of the precursor to the current CMP. After the availability of WCC was limited.
It was issued for ECI matches, and shot very well. Got my final distinguished points with TZZ.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

leatherguy

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2011, 03:40:04 pm »
I have seen two different head stamps with TZZ. One was TZZ dated, and the other was TZZ MATCH. The TZZ dated had crimpped primers, and the Match were beautiful cases. There is a fair amount floating around in my part of NY.

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2011, 05:24:55 pm »
Thanks guys for all the input.

The #15 sizer/de-cap could have been made by Dick Shockey (?), if so that would be great as I have a Government Model in .45 ACP built by Shockey at his shop in El Reno, OK.  He worked it around 1970.  At that time he called it a "Bowling Pin Gun" or simply a "Pin Gun". I can't believe that was forty plus years ago.

The TZZ headstamp information is very interesting.  I have a few thousand of them and I took note of the military, with the primer crimp.  I don't think mine are match but will look at them again. tt
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 10:52:59 pm by 1960 »

MikeA

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Amateur Hour, additional on TZZ
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2011, 06:06:25 pm »
TZZ

Address: POB 1044, Ramat Hasharon 47100, Israel
Tel: +972-3548-5617
E-Mail: [no e-mail]@-israel.com
Fax: +972-3548-6125
IMI Website

From Website:

The IMI Small Caliber Ammunition Division is Israel’s sole producer of state-of-the-art combat-proven small arms ammunition with an extensive list of customers throughout the world. With an ample experience in the field, the plant offers a complete line of high quality military, law enforcement and commercial grade cartridges. The plant manufactures a complete range of small arms ammunition, ranging from 5.56mm to 0.50 caliber, as well as an broad range of less-than-lethal munitions. IMI small arms ammunition have received the prestigious NATO Qualification. The plant’s SCAMP lines enable the supply of significant quantities within impressively short time. The plant production is based on in-house R&D. An example of the plant’s innovative development are the special-purpose munitions, including frangible 9mm bullets, which are lethal, but do not penetrate hard surfaces, to be operated in sensitive location.
Semper Fi,
MikeA