Author Topic: Need advice on restoring rusted Star Reloader  (Read 9401 times)

BWBuy

• View Profile
Need advice on restoring rusted Star Reloader
« on: May 09, 2011, 03:21:35 pm »
I'd like to get some tips or advice on the best way to restore a rusty Star Universal Reloader. I just got it from the original purchaser (mid-1990's unit).

He said it wasn't used too much and has surface rust.  I've attached pictures.  I think it's more than surface rust in some areas.

I've read through the Reloader threads, but didn't see any many rust removal suggestions other than using WD40 to free up parts, or wet Brillo pads on the aluminum base.  I read the Maintenance thread on lubrication and using graphite.

It's setup for 45 ACP and it seems to work ok.  I loaded two test cartridges with large primers and SWC bullets, but no powder.  I have never reloaded and have few supplies the seller threw in.  About 50 large primers and 100 lubed bullets.  I have been saving brass and have 300 cartridges.

It's only missing the primer tube follower and primer pickup.

Looking forward to learning more from you experienced Star owners.

Thanks in advance for any responses.

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Need advice on restoring rusted Star Reloader
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 03:36:53 pm »
It looks like that machine has had very little useage but was left in a damp environment. I would contact Star Machine Works as I understand he does restoration work on Star Machines.

SWANEE

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2011, 04:17:56 pm »
A little elbow grease, fine oil and very fine steel wool and some time and patience, you'll do just fine, Cheers

Hugh Tyer

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2011, 05:22:04 pm »
BW BUY
You have a potentionally nice machine. If you had any experience with stars I would say take it apart and clean it yourself. My suggestion would be to talk to Bruce ( rbwillnj ) on this forum, maybe he or one of the other experienced guys can help. Good luck and good loading.
Hugh

BWBuy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 06:32:28 pm »
Well, I finished a partial restoration and, although it could still be cleaned up a bit more, it's back together, and it's working.  Reloaded about 100 rounds on Friday.  Shot them on Sunday at the range. OAL was 1.255.  33 of the rounds wouldn't fully chamber. My RIA 1911A1 wouldn't go into battery.  Sunday and today I reset the seating die to give me an OAL of 1.234.  Reseated and re-crimped those 33 and reloaded another 49 rounds. Ran them all through a Dillon 45 ACP case gauge.  Successfully dropped a random sample into the RIA's barrel.  Will shoot them tomorrow. 

>>tony barone wrote "I would contact Star Machine Works as
>>I understand he does restoration work on Star Machines. "

I emailed Star and got a quote of $250 to restore the machine. 

I couldn't afford $250, so I did it myself.    All the parts were hand de-rusted with a wet 3M scrubby and Bar Tender's Friend cleaner, wire brushed with a Dremel tool, then baked to dry them.  The small parts were treated in a boiling lye & zinc oxide solution to neutralize the rust.  Those small parts were blackened by that treatment. Although some of the big parts still show rust, all the parts have all been baked after treatment with Amsoil Metal Protector so the surface rust is gone (hopefully never to return). I wanted it to look new, but I was anxious to get reloading.  I settled on function vs pretty. 

My first time reloading ANYTHING and it was fun & easy after I got it calibrated. Sweet machine!

Still open to any suggestions from you masters.

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 12:41:51 pm »
Greetings,

Congratulations on a job well done. From the photo and literal description you are well on the way to becoming a Star Aficionado.

With kind regards,

Dave Wilson