Author Topic: new to star  (Read 6874 times)

PAPATIN1911

• View Profile
new to star
« on: March 14, 2011, 05:22:12 pm »
I just inherited a lot of star equipment, a Universal Star, 3 Heads, 45acp, 38spl/357,32acp,  a case funnel not star tho, 5 charge bars, 2.4,2.7,3.0,3.5,00, n one that has an adjusting screw, two lubricating presses, one in 45acp and 38spl, a whole lot of primer tubes I don't know why so many, please excuse me if I didn't call anything by its name, but is like some help identifying these tools by its name, n for some reason when I pull down on the press the shell plate does not rotate, everything else seems to move perfectly but my shell stays in one place. By the way I do reload with a Hornady Projector 45acp only n have reloaded on this star press with my grandfather in the past but can't seem to make it wrk now, I only inherited these great tools cuz my grandpas got alzheimers n now its dangerous for him to even try RELOADING. I appreciate any help and comments. I will post pics soon today

askimball (Doc)

• Active Members
  • Cell - 318-518-0829 Central Time
    • View Profile
Re: new to star
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 06:00:55 pm »
You have to Index the Shell Plate by Hand, UNLESS, you got a Indexer with
the equipment ;D :D
Doc - I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Retired Police Captain

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 07:13:32 pm »
Greetings,

True, the shell plate is a manual operation on the original Star with no after market indexers.

On a side note, I would like to hear more about the 32 ACP dies and shell plate. Especially photos. I would like to see what Genuine Star parts look like for this caliber. Perhaps it is 32 S&W, not 32 ACP?

Feel free to send the photos directly to my personal email address.

Congratulations on your new machine. All the best to Grand dad.

Cheers,

Dave

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 08:39:14 pm »
You stated pull down on the press?
If the handle is in the down position, the shellplate cannot move, and should not mover.
You have to manually move it (index it) to the next station when the handle is in the up posit on.

If it does not mover their either, it is possible the column shaft nut (THRUST NUT) is too tight.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"