Author Topic: Pricing help on a Universal  (Read 8693 times)

Neil R.

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Pricing help on a Universal
« on: February 15, 2007, 05:03:42 pm »
Hello,
New to the forum. I need some help on pricing a Star reloader. I am aware of a Universal machine with both .38spl and .45acp heads. It has a Somar indexer and a Hulme case feeder for both calibers. There are a number of powder bushings and a few powder slides for the machine that are fixed. I believe one of the slides has been adapted to handle the various bushings. Any help is appreciated. Thanks,
Neil

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Pricing help on a Universal
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 06:44:20 pm »
Prices for Stars are highly variable.  A 45 ACP machine with no case feeder sold on ebay last week for over $800.  A 38 Special (Universal) with a case feeder sold a couple days earlier for $320.  The same day the 45 ACP machine sold, a 38 Special tool head and shell plate sold for $400.

Personally, if it was mine to sell, I would want $400 for a 45 ACP Universal  without a case feeder, $550 with a case feeder.  A tool head with 38 special dies and shell plate should be worth about $300.  Powder slides should go for about $25 each.  Of course this assumes that everything is in good condition.   I typically don't worry about a little surface rust, Stars usually clean up very well.   You should get a look at the base below the shell plate.  Machines that have been heavily used can develop a groove, and should be avoided.   This is most common on machines that have been used with an indexer.   Most Stars do not have this problem, but I have seen some that do.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Neil R.

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Pricing help on a Universal
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2007, 07:31:46 pm »
Thanks for the insight.
Neil