Author Topic: Priming system  (Read 12490 times)

john452

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Priming system
« on: September 01, 2008, 01:34:43 pm »
 After my self induced jam of my Star machine, I got it unjammed and replaced the decapping pin,however the primers do not feed everytime unless I manually move the primer bar by pushing it the last 1/16 th inch or so. The arm that moves the primer bar is not too tight could I use a new spring? Does anyone know where to find one? Thanks...John

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Priming system
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 02:03:33 pm »
Check this site to download operating instructions for the Star Machine. The primer slide operation is controlled by the bar projecting from the tool head. Some how you must have bent it. It's pretty sturdy so some force must have been applied to it.

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 02:54:40 pm »
Check the actuating pin on the primer slide. It is the weakest part involved & likely was bent. If you have another slide try it or compare the 2 if different primer sizes.

The best, quickest, source for spring replacement is a hardware w/ a springboard, we're not swimin', with a large display of springs. It's likely you'll get close to the orig, at least close enough for reliable
function.

While checking for that particular sprg, looking for spares for others w/b a good idea. Especially the tool head return.

There are a couple of suppliers who may reply here & help out for srgs. The Star site lists all these parts & sometimes even supplies them if ordered.

Hugh Tyer

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2008, 04:37:32 pm »
The first thing I would do is pull it apart and make sure you don't have some fowling in the slide. These things can really get grungy
Hardball

john452

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2008, 05:38:42 pm »
Nothing seemed bent or out of shape, the slide moves easy enough and does seem to bind anywhere. I will check again though. Thanks for the info. I'm really new to Star machines.............John

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2008, 10:27:42 pm »
So it sounds like you need to adjust the travel of the primer slide.  This is done by bending the angle lever cam as suggested in an earlier post.   You need to bend the angle lever cam outward just slightly so that the hole in the primer slide lines up with the primer punch when the tool head is lowered.

Is this a tool head you have used before without problems?   Does the number on the angle lever cam match the number on the tool head?   
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

john452

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 01:40:37 pm »
I got this Star (my first) about six months ago. everything was fine until a stone got stuck in a case and did not fallout and I didn't eyeball it. Anyways the machine became jammed up pretty good. So I dismantled the primer slide etc. The macine freed up and I replaced the decapping pin as suggest with a 1/16 drill. I have loaded several hundred rounds since and no problem as long as I push the primer slide the last bit. I thought spring but being new to the machine I thought I would ask.

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 10:37:58 pm »
Have you found out how to fix the problem?

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 03:36:12 pm »
John452

So I understand about the rock in the case breaking the decapping pin, but when the machine jammed, where did it jam?   Did the case with the rock continue on to the primer station?   If so, the jam could have occurred as you attempted to insert a primer in a case that still had an old one.  With enough force you could have bent something in the primer mechanism.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com