Author Topic: Star and WCC, RA, etc., in GI brass that used crimped primers  (Read 10128 times)

saltydog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Star and WCC, RA, etc., in GI brass that used crimped primers
« on: January 27, 2011, 09:20:32 am »
I have a fair ammount of GI .45 ACP brass that hasn't been re-loaded yet. 

Late 60s-early 70s, I did some casting chores for a gent and the payment was in the form of once fired GI brass.

After I clean the brass, do I need to run this stuff through the Rockchucker and remve the 'swage' before attempting to run it through the Star? 

Thanks,

salty

tguntrader

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Star and WCC, RA, etc., in GI brass that used crimped primers
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 09:34:00 am »
Tguntrader,

I just loaded some last week, For the first time I did mine on the rcbs  first, also you may need  to check primer pockets and cut them out some early 45 has rim around the edge.

saltydog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 10:15:26 am »
RCBS did, at one time, offer tools to remove(cut) or swage the crimp from GI cases.  With 'RCBS' as the search target, my Google-Fu found their site.  Looking at the RCBS Products on their site, tools to remove (cut) or swage the primer pocket aren't in their on-line cataloge.

I realise its been a while since the Arsenals made ammunition  But I'd assume that ammunition intended for Military Issue would still be assembled to GI specs.  Those specs would include a water resistant shellac and crimped in primer. If so, someone ought to have something like the old RCBS tool available.   Maybe I just haven't found it yet.

Anyone else make these?

Thanks again,

salty

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 10:32:20 am »
If it's once fired military brass, I'm quite certain that you need to swag or ream the primer pockets.   I think all of the reloading equipment manufactures offer a hand tool for reaming primer pockets.  Dillon offers a dedicated tool for swagging primer pockets, but it costs $100...but if you have a lot to do, it might be worth while. 

I always hand reamed my military 45 ACP brass, but I recently purchased the Dillon tool to swag a mountain of military .223 brass.   If makes the job go a lot faster.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 11:07:24 am »
Greetings Salty,

If you are lucky, the brass may be head stamped MATCH. If so, the primer pockets are not crimped and are of excellent quality.

If it is indeed GI brass with crimped pockets, factor in your time to modify them. Scrap brass brings a good price and you can use the money to buy once fired R-P or Federal commercial brass.

Cheers,

Dave Wilson

saltydog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 12:32:29 pm »
Thanks guys.

About that time the various MTU teams would travel a circuit that ended at Perry. 

At Camp Perry, bragging rifgts for the next year were established. 

Some of those Teams cycled through here in preperation for Major Command Regionals and Perry. Since picking up brass does elevate BPR, and the team members who were inspired hold their slot and liked the TDY pay, they didn't really didn't want to go back to their Primary AFSC, MOS, etc.  The brass was, on occasion, left on the firing line.  It was considered a 'lost brass' match.

Teams, at that time, had to consist of 50% New Shooters. It was competitive.

Some of the 'brown box' tested more accurate than 'white box' Match.

I may have a bit of FCC 72 Match, but not enought to seperate.

Thanks,

salty

MikeA

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 01:07:06 pm »
Hi Guys,
RCBS shows the 'Primer Pocket Swager Combo' as part #9495 for $36.95.   There are no
picture but I have one and if you are interested I can post pictures.

Semper Fi,
Mike A.
Las Vegas

saltydog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 02:26:04 pm »
Mike, I am interested in buying if you're interested in selling.  Does the tool need shell holders, dies, stuff like that?

If you care to chat about it, send me a PM, and I'll respond with a phone number.

thanks,

sd.