Author Topic: Parted out Machines on eBay - Buyer Beware!  (Read 5748 times)

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Parted out Machines on eBay - Buyer Beware!
« on: January 09, 2021, 12:09:13 pm »
Once again I see that there is a seller on eBay parting out Star reloaders.   Of particular concern is are the Crank Shaft Bearing Assembly, and the Bronze Primer Casting.   Both of these parts are matched to their original counterparts.   

The Crank Shaft assembly is matched to the original column during final assembly.  Even if you can insert the taper pin all the way, which is rare, there is a good chance the link arms won't be square with the tool head.  There is maybe a 5-10% chance that the Crank Shaft Bearing assembly will function on a different column.

The chance that you will be able to use the #75 bronze primer casting on any machine but the one it came from is not much greater than 0%, so don't waist your money.

Bruce Williams
Star Machine Works LLC
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Humbo

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Parted out Machines on eBay - Buyer Beware!
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2021, 03:00:10 pm »
Bruce, thanks a lot for the heads-up!

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2021, 03:28:18 pm »
Greetings,

I bookmarked all of his auctions.

Curious to see if he can get more money parting everything out.

Now that most of us have received "Stimulus Checks" increased liquor sales and high bidding should prevail.

Cheers,

Dave

mikefamig

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 09:38:55 pm »
Thanks for the heads up, I had no idea that the machines werehand  built one-off.

Mike.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 08:48:15 am »
Most parts are interchangeable, but the #75 is matched to the steel base early in production before the balance of the machining on the base is done, and the hole for the taper pin is drilled and reamed during final assembly.

The angle lever cam is matched to the tool head early in production as well, but new angle levers can be installed.  Adjustments will be required.

The #75 is numbered, and there is a matching number stamped on the steel base.   Be aware that the numbers were reused for each new batch of machines.

Bruce Williams
« Last Edit: January 11, 2021, 09:07:58 am by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2021, 10:26:09 am »
Greetings,

The parts listed on eBay sold for $461.99. The dies did not sell nor was the base and column.

Might be a good way to sell a Star.

Cheers,

Dave

24Jan2021

Seller sold the die set for $49.00. Now up to $510.99!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 12:40:32 pm by fc60 »

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2021, 11:58:29 am »
Maybe,  If you don't mind unhappy customers.   I'm pretty sure the ones who purchased the crankshaft assembly and primer casting won't be very happy with their purchase.

As for the tool head, I sell a nice complete tool head with powder slide housing for $250.   If you add up all the parts that tool head is missing, it comes to $138 plus shipping, The tool head customer spent $140 plus $10 shipping, so not exactly a bargain.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2021, 03:50:20 pm »
Greetings,

It gets worse...

There are two Berdon hallmarked shell plates on eBay currently.

Horrible machining. One of them looks like the die clearance counterbore are off index.

Yet, folks are bidding on them.

Cheers,

Dave

mikefamig

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2021, 10:54:45 pm »
Maybe,  If you don't mind unhappy customers.   I'm pretty sure the ones who purchased the crankshaft assembly and primer casting won't be very happy with their purchase.

As for the tool head, I sell a nice complete tool head with powder slide housing for $250.   If you add up all the parts that tool head is missing, it comes to $138 plus shipping, The tool head customer spent $140 plus $10 shipping, so not exactly a bargain.

Does tat $250 price apply to a tool head equipped with 45 ACP dies? I don't want to spend the money right now but that will be on my wish list if it does. And does it include the casing holder?

Mike.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2021, 11:47:17 pm »
Sorry, the $250 does not include dies or shell plate.  I was trying to do an apples to apples comparison to the stripped down tool head that sold on eBay.  There are from time to time some good bargains on eBay for complete tool heads with dies, but you have to be patient and hope no one else is looking for the same thing.

Does tat $250 price apply to a tool head equipped with 45 ACP dies? I don't want to spend the money right now but that will be on my wish list if it does. And does it include the casing holder?

Mike.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com