Author Topic: progressive press  (Read 4345 times)

GeraldChainsaw

• Active Members
    • View Profile
progressive press
« on: September 13, 2019, 09:51:59 am »
 a while back some one told me what different dies, or  bullets i can use with a progressive press,  would someone remember what they were?,  thanks   jerry

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: progressive press
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 12:11:49 pm »
Greetings,

Shell plates have been made from 25 ACP up to 45 Auto Rim.

The 25 ACP was a "special" and original dies do not exist, to my knowledge.

Star did machine some tool heads to accept 7/8-14 dies. However, the dies often need to be modified to function properly. Notably, the clearance of the die nose to fit the shell plate counter-bore.

Cheers,

Dave

Green Frog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 02:51:01 pm »
Actually the Progressive was basically a dedicated press for 38 Special only, with the main options being various powder charges or bullet profiles.  I've been told about some mods that could be done on them, but to really get the full range of calibers one needs to get a Universal Progressive Press that can be relatively quickly changed from any of the range of pistol and revolver calibers (and some rifle calibers) that were offered for the Star.

I personally own a Progressive (my only Star) and have asked repeatedly about having it converted to another caliber, but the cost and effort would be prohibitive according to everyone I've talked to.  If anyone can now do a simple conversion of my Progressive to 32 S&W Long, I'd love to hear from you.

Froggie

Scott L

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 08:42:41 pm »
<SNIP>
I personally own a Progressive (my only Star) and have asked repeatedly about having it converted to another caliber, but the cost and effort would be prohibitive according to everyone I've talked to.  If anyone can now do a simple conversion of my Progressive to 32 S&W Long, I'd love to hear from you.<SNIP>

Froggie

Hi Froggie,
I added 79U locating straps to my progressive press shown here: https://starreloaders.com/forum/index.php?topic=2430.msg10087#msg10087