Author Topic: Powder Slide Cam  (Read 15673 times)

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Powder Slide Cam
« on: October 09, 2005, 11:27:04 pm »
On early models of the Star Reloader, the powder slide cam was attached directly to the base.  Later, the powder slide cam was attached to a seperate aluminum support that was attached to the base with three screws.  

Does anyone know when and why this change was made?
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

45 ACP

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Powder Slide Cam
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 08:29:20 am »
I have an earlier base on my Universal. The mount for the powder side has a crack. I'm thinking I might replace it with the newer bolt on mount. Does anybody know where I can get one of those mounts? Thanks, Pete

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 09:59:38 am »
Contact Compositor on this forum.  He buys machines and parts them out on eBay under the same ID.   However, I'm not sure your idea will work.   The base for the newer type powder cam is cast differently, and has a flat area machined where the cam is attached.

You might want to ask compositor if he has an aluminum base plate he would be willing to sell.   I have seen him sell them on eBay in the past.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 01:45:11 pm »
He has a number of items currently listed on Ebay right now. He did have a base in the not too distant past. Unknown of he had any bidders.
He is not very active on this forum, (last on 09/2007) so best is to contact him via his ebay auctions.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2008, 02:03:02 pm »
You can access compositors email from his member profile
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

45 ACP

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2008, 03:50:18 pm »
Okay...I've bought a bunch of parts from him in the past to see about having them duplicated and what it would cost including marketing. I hadn't thought about getting a whole new base before. I was just going to machine the one I have and attached the new piece. Now I'm thinking different! Thanks for the suggestions! Pete

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 07:53:04 pm »
34ACP,
Sometime ago a member, jasta, made sev posts indicating personal exp w/ Star having been in the facility as it was closed out and was allowed to remove anything left over from the sale. Yty contacting him. He might have some knowledge that would help out.
Ron

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 08:02:01 pm »
45ACP,
Sorry about the typo!!  Do a search under members-search for "Star" in "all" "member name" "jasta".. in the last post he relates he passed on the mold used to cast the base [no e-mail]@ star. He w/b interesting to talk to!
Ron

45 ACP

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2008, 10:13:14 pm »
Ron...Thanks! Thats a good lead. I can start with that anyway. If you hear of anything else, keep me posted, please! Pete