Star Reloaders Discussion Forums > Star Reloaders

New to me 2 star reloaders and sizers

(1/2) > >>

pomsct:
I recently picked up two reloading machines one in 38sp and the other in 45ACP, both came with a sizer for the caliber the machines were set up for. I was first introduced to Star equipment in the early 80's and purchased a Star sizer, which cost about double what a Lyman cost at the time. A lot of money for a kid working at the gas station. I couldn't afford a Star reloader though, I think they were about $700 back then. I eventually acquired a Dillon RL450 that I traded a double barrel shotgun for at a local gun store who had one in stock before Dillon went factory direct with there sales. These machines look pretty much ready to use, I cleaned decades of powder and dried lubricants from them and they are working fine.  The 38 sizing die is interesting to me, it appears to be a ruby or something other than carbide, anyone know what this made of?

pomsct:
A couple of pictures of the machines.

fc60:
Greetings,

The sizing die might have a Ruby insert.

We used to use them in Specimen Holders for Electron Microscopes due to their very low coefficient of friction.

Never thought of using one for sizing brass.

What diameter do the sized cases come out?

Very interesting...

Cheers,

Dave

Florey55:
I'm absolutely fascinated by this ruby die insert. Where could I get one for my .32 S&W L Star?

Green Frog:
Love the ruby insert… if it doesn’t work up to your expectations, you can always pull it out and give it to your (very skinny) girlfriend.  :D  ;D

Froggie

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version