Author Topic: Roll sizing brass  (Read 7737 times)

eclam

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Roll sizing brass
« on: July 04, 2016, 02:06:00 pm »
How much benefit is there in roll sizing brass?   Does it make many x fired
brass back into 1xfired?

I am debating the merits of the Case Pro 100 for roll sizing 9mm and .45ACP
brass.  Where I live, 1xbrass is hard to come by.  All my best loads for 50 yards
use 1x or factory new cases.

My 9mm develop a skinny waist line after 3 or 4 reloads.

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: Roll sizing brass
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 04:24:59 pm »

There are numerous changes that occur to brass when fired. The application of instant heat and pressure that creates near instant expansion in the chamber, and then a quick reduction that results in the brass contracting. Taking into account microscopic variances and inconsistencies in the chamber, powder burn rate including air spaces in the powder, and the shape of the powder in the casing, (on the bottom portion of the case when inserted in the chamber), bullet seating, etc., the brass changes each and every time it is fired. This weakens the brass, and as you note contributes to what you describe as "developing a skinny waist", and eventually cracking and deformity that renders it no longer useful.

Nothing, including roll sizing will make multiple fired brass equal to that of once fired. It should however provide a little better level of uniformity and consistency between each piece of brass and thus load to load.
If you do go that direction, in addition to paying attention to separating by head-stamp, I would record number of times fired, etc. and see how it compares to actually firing once fired. 
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"