Author Topic: Cover for the Star Reloader?  (Read 20725 times)

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
Cover for the Star Reloader?
« on: September 11, 2009, 09:42:49 am »
Hi Gang:
What are you guys doing to cover your Star reloaders when they are not in use?
At present, I drape an old pillow case over my Stars.
This keeps dust from my workshop out of the mechanism.

Your thoughts on what you all are doing in this regard would be appreciated.

Thanks In Advance!

ArtInCT
Art In Connecticut

starman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Cover for the Star Reloader?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 10:51:18 am »
I use a trash bag works great keeps it nice and clean

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 01:03:05 pm »
I use old pillow cases
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 01:09:08 pm »
I have occasionally used a Dillon 550 cover as I have one.

Normally I do not cover at all, since it is remote from other work area, and in a dry, non-humid area.

I do however, have container/package(s) of "Damp rid" near the reloading bench and machine bench etc., as an extra precaution, and would use one under the cover if it was to be longterm.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2009, 02:25:17 pm »
Pillow case works just fine.  Plastic trash bags are a bad idea here (Texas) because of the humidity.
Distinguished Pistol Shot

starman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2009, 06:24:22 pm »
plastic trash bags do work great here in Kalifornia because we have a lot of hot air here

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2009, 06:26:10 pm »
Starman;

Are you talking weather or politicians?

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

starman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2009, 11:38:03 pm »
MOSTY THE POLITIcian

Diesel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 11:31:01 am »
Interesting & timely post for me as I've been looking for a press cover. I presently use a pillow case to cover the press. That works fine for dust but rust can sneak up on you no matter where you live. I keep my presses in the house where it's air conditioned.

I've been trying to contact the company that makes the "Sack Ups" firearm covers to inquire if they would make a larger size that would cover a press for longer term storage. I load about a thousand rounds at a time then won't load for a while. Has to do with work getting in the way of free time.  I sent the Sack UP company an email on the subject but got no reply. I forgot about it until I saw your post.

The Sack Ups are a knit "tube sock" material impregnated with silicone to inhibit rust.  Presently the Sack Ups company sells scraps if their material for gun cleaning in a package of 3. They are shorter versions of their full length rifle/shotgun covers in a "tube sock" style. I've been purchasing those as they are large enough to cover the head and base area with the press in the down position. I don't think the silicone will effect the paint or decal on the press. I place one of those over the head & base (press collapsed) then place a pillow case over that. I tend to steer clear of anything plastic for a cover as moisture can condense inside of the bag. It's always sad to see one of these little works of art that has been neglected and rusted up.

Diesel  :)

starman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 03:01:15 pm »
it sounds like you have a good idea for a cover it would be nice to have a nice cover that would really do the right job for protection rust and all. Do let me tell you work always gets in the way DONT do it

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 03:25:18 pm »
I think the Sack Up is a great Idea Diesel!  I have a few spares hanging around as I keep all my long guns in individual Sack Ups when in the safe.  I put a wide masking tape on the Sack Up with the name of the gun and caliber so I can quickly find the rifle.

I will have to pin up a pillow case and take an existing sack up to a seamstress friend of ours (my wife does not sew so swell  :o )  and see if she can convert a sack up into a Star Sack.

This should be rather interesting to explain what I need this for...  Oh Yah... ::)

As for the plastic bags as a cover.  That may be a good idea in areas where the humidity is low. But here in Connecticut or anywhere along the coast or in river valleys, the humidity could become trapped inside the plastic bag and this would probably not be a wonderful thing.

As one other tip,  I always keep a can of DUST OFF handy with my Stars.  Dust Off is a can of compressed air.  A few blasts of Dust Off with a finger over the case in the powder station keeps the shell plate area nice and clean during reloading sessions.  Warning though.  Long Blasts of Dust Off make the metal quite cold and can cause condensation due to the cold.

Art
Art In Connecticut

maurilew

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2009, 05:50:50 pm »
Hey folks;                                                                                                 Dust off is great, But be careful of the gas vapor propelant, it is toxic. Some one with respitory problems(what the heck, breathing problems), could be more susceptable than others.   ma
maurilew

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 03:59:59 pm »
For all of you who don't already have a compressor , here is the perfect excusse for the purchase of one, safety!

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2009, 08:16:51 pm »
There is a good option when a full size compressor is not an option, because of space, power supply, cost, etc.

Small commercial artist shops have an airbrush compressor. About one - two pounds, flexible hose about 6 foot, and a small air brush nozzle for pinpint control. Go for about a hundred bucks.

I use one for blowing out dirt off guns,  and fluids out of guns after ultrasonic cleaning. Debris off the bench, etc.. I have used it for blowing off extra powder from the shell plate and base on the Star. Easily portable and works well. It is quiet, and takes up little room.

Diesel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2009, 11:47:37 am »
If anyone knows how to get in contact with the Sack Up company & there was enough interest they might be willing to make a size large enough to cover loading presses as it could be an additional market for them. I'd like to have one to cover my RCBS single stage press. I sent them an email quite some time ago on their Contact Us page but received no reply.

To clean my press while loading, I keep a small vacuum cleaner under the bench. That way I'm not blowing powder and debris all over the room.

Diesel