Author Topic: Dies for the Star - Longevity by Brand?  (Read 10244 times)

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
Dies for the Star - Longevity by Brand?
« on: August 30, 2009, 06:38:08 am »
Like most Star users, the dies that came with my Star's machine head(s) simply are adjusted and
sometimes cleaned, but rarely changed out for others.  In other words I do not have 2 sets of 45 ACP dies with one being Lifetyme Brand and the other set being another brand...

None the less, I am aware that there are at least four brands of dies out there for Star reloading machines.  I was just wondering what everyone's perceptions of these die brands are?  I usually refrain from the typical forum questions that are like... "WHICH IS BEST" or "9mm vs 10mm" etc.
So I am sorry in that respect of asking this question.  

However, perception based upon first hand use experience is a pretty good teacher.

So what die brand for the Star is held in the highest esteem?  Especially as lognevity is concerned given that the dies are well cared for by the user (cleaned and lightly polished).  (also which die of the set of three or four gives the most problems or issues over time?)

Lifetyme?
Perfection?
CH 4D?
Lee ?

Others?

« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 10:41:16 am by ARTINCT »
Art In Connecticut

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Dies for the Star - Longevity by Brand?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2009, 09:26:14 am »
Most die sets are in fact Star, with only the sizer die being from LifeTyme of RLS.  Star started selling reloaders with carbide sizing dies as an option in the 50's, and by the mid 70's no longer offered a steel sizing die as an option.  (based on the price lists I have accumulated).

Bill Cunningham who bought the Star Reloader assets in 1993 sold parts from the Star inventory, but at some point had CH Tool and Die make some dies for him.  I believe he also had Lee make some dies for him.   That 40 S&W set that I use personally was purchased from Bill Cunningham five or six years ago.  It has a carbide sizing die marked Lee.  I have had two other 40 S&W sets pass through may hands, and both had the same unmarked carbide sizing die.   The one that I have for sale now came directly from Star San Diego, but I don't know who made the sizing die.  The rest of the dies in the set are obviously Star.

I have purchased several CH tool and Die Star type dies and they appear to be well made.   The only Lee that I have is the afore mentioned 40 S&W sizer die, that came via Bill Cunningham and I have no complaints.

Does anyone know when Lifetyme went out of business?   I have never seen a Lifetyme carbide sizing die in 40 S&W.    Did Star offer only the Lifetyme carbide sizing dies as and OEM option, or die they also sell the RLS Perfection dies as an OEM option?
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2009, 06:15:17 pm »
Are .32 ACP dies available from any of these supplier? For some time dies for this cal have been offered on ebay (not bid items) at $75 per die including the expander plug.

Rather high, but maybe they aren't available elsewhere?

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2009, 06:44:34 pm »
When CH Tool and Die made their run a year or so ago, they did make dies for 32 S&W Long, but they made a limited number of sets and I think they have long since sold out.   I think you just need to contact them from time to time to express interest and see when they will be running more.   As for Lee, I have no idea.  

32 S&W long is probably the most difficult set of Star dies to find.   I paid a hefty price for the set that I have, though no where near as much as the set in the eBay Stores.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2009, 10:03:11 pm by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2009, 07:49:34 pm »
I've Had two Star machines since the mid fifties, one with a Lyfetyme sizeing die and one with an unmarked
steel die of unknown manufacturer. the steel die began to scratch the outside of the cases and after polishing
a few times, began to size the case a bit oversize, I recently replaced the steel  die with a lyfetyme and now
everything is running smoothly again.  both machines reloaded about the same amount of loads over the years with no apparent wear on the Lyfetyme die, the steel die lasted more than 50 years so quess I shouldnt complain.

Lindy