Author Topic: Adjustable powder slide  (Read 7958 times)

Humbo

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Adjustable powder slide
« on: November 17, 2016, 02:03:13 pm »
Does anyone know who manufactured this adjustable powder slide? I would like to get something similar for my other Stars.

lotech

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Adjustable powder slide
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 08:51:59 am »
Be cautious in buying an adjustable slide. I purchased two almost ten years ago; neither fit perfectly and I should have returned them. Instead, I used them and the less-than-ideal fit caused scoring on both the aluminum housings and the slides.   

cc656d

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 09:00:38 am »
I have always preferred bushing bars . Have Holme and aftermarket brass but like the bushing bars .
Distinguished pistol shot
2600 club
NIB Star
Benefactor member NRA
Life Member Va, Md, WVa, and Fl State Shooting Associations , Life OGCA

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 11:01:11 am »
Greetings,

Looks homemade. One thing of interest is the spring that pushes the sliding insert in one direction removing the backlash from the screw thread. The maker was thinking when he/she machined it.

Adjustable bars are handy for load development. For making a run of match ammo, a fixed bar or one with a bushing is my preference as there is nothing to come loose.

Also, as the weather changes, you will be prompted to "tweak" the adjustable bar to compensate for atmospheric changes.

Cheers,

Dave

lotech

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 11:57:03 am »
I must agree that bushing bars are far better overall.

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 02:20:30 pm »
Rich Daniels on this site as  BarrelTester makes adjustable powder slides.

Bruce Williams  RBWillNJ on this site may also have examples in stock such as the HOAG, etc.

I agree they serve a purpose for developing loads, but once a load is determined a specific sized bar or bar with inserts provided better charge to charge accuracy.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

varmintpopper

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2016, 04:55:00 pm »
Gentleman
I've been using both adjustable and non-adjustable powder slides for over 60 years on Star machines and have never noticed that one is better or worse than the other. perhaps I just got lucky and had quality adjustables ( mostly home made) but they were quite accurate and dropped consistent loads. Adjustables do speed up the setting up for a new Load.
I currently run five Stars all with adjustable powder slides.
Just My 2

Good Shooting

Lindy