Author Topic: Star crank shaft assembly  (Read 7923 times)

grlflh

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Star crank shaft assembly
« on: September 12, 2011, 01:18:38 pm »
How does the crank shaft assembly#116 get removed from the star sizer? I have removed the bolt and washer from the end plate and removed the handle. Any help would be appreciated.

Grant

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Star crank shaft assembly
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 01:50:52 pm »
In addition to the bolt and the washer, there is a collar that goes over the shaft.  That needs to be removed as well, but is often hard to do because the hole through which the handle is inserted becomes deformed, and burrs develop that hinder removal of the collar.   After you get the collar off, use a fine file to remove any additional burrs before you push the crank shaft assembly out of the aluminum casting.

Why do you need to remove it?

PS  It would have been better if you posted this in the Lubricator resizer section, but whatever.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

grlflh

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 02:51:40 pm »
Bruce,

The sizer that I have does not fall with the weight of the handle. The two guige rods are clean and lubed. I did find that if I heated the shaft with a hair drier that it would fall, so my guess is that the shaft needs to be cleaned. Thoughts? am I procceeding the correct way?

Grant

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 12:34:39 pm »
Greetings,

Try applying a few drops of light machine oil in the lube hole of the casting and work the handle up and down to allow the oil to penetrate. It should free up in a short time. Much easier than taking it apart.

Cheers,

Dave