Author Topic: primer magazine?  (Read 8659 times)

Pelallito

• Active Members
    • View Profile
primer magazine?
« on: June 12, 2015, 10:46:36 am »
Hello,
I am not sure if this is the right place ask this question. Many years ago when I bought my first stars I got what I am describing as primer magazines with it.
I have two,  a large and a small primer magazine.
They are all plastic and have 10 tubes held together top and bottom like a revolver cylinder. Each can hold 1000 primers.
When I use them, I put the magazine of top of my primer tube, drop in 100, and move the magazine off the star to a safe resting place.
I never felt safe facing a few hundred primers in clear plastic tubes at approximately face height.
Does anybody know who made these and approximately when they stopped making them? And why?
Any leads would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot.
Fred

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: primer magazine?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2015, 11:17:40 pm »
I believe that Brewster made these (the same folks that made the indexer).  I have one, picked it up as a curiosity to check out, but have never used it (don't intend to either).  They made ones for small and large primers.  I would not feel safe with that many primers unguarded within an arms length of my face.  I am just not in that big of a hurry anyhow.  The reason they stopped making them may be related to liability or low demand.  I cant imagine they sold many of them. 

Green Frog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 08:01:40 pm »
My Progressive (from the John Amber estate sale) came with most of a Hulme case feeder and one of these Brewster Primer Magazines.  This latter struck me as a magnificent (if dangerous) solution in severe need of a problem.  If I want to load more primer tubes than I have, I sneak over to my Dad's Dillon stuff and borrow a couple of his tube loaders.  I find the case feeding conversion using the Lee unit to be a much more practical addition since I run out of empty cases a lot more quickly than primers!

Froggie

Pelallito

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 04:11:11 pm »
Green Frog and Joatmon,
Thanks for the replies!
I would fill them with primers when I didn't want to load, and I would drop in a hundred and set the Brewster magazine to one side on a little stand. I always felt that it was extremely dangerous to leave it on top of the Star as I reloaded. I have never had a primer go off on me with the Star(knock on wood), but many years ago I went to a commercial reloading shop in Ft Lauderdale that had holes in the ceiling above just about every Star loader. They told me the holes were the result of the primers going off. I never went back. They went out of business a long time ago.
I have to get a look at the Lee case feeding conversion and put one in.
Thanks again,
Fred

Green Frog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 08:52:43 pm »
Green Frog and Joatmon,
Thanks for the replies!
I would fill them with primers when I didn't want to load, and I would drop in a hundred and set the Brewster magazine to one side on a little stand. I always felt that it was extremely dangerous to leave it on top of the Star as I reloaded. I have never had a primer go off on me with the Star(knock on wood), but many years ago I went to a commercial reloading shop in Ft Lauderdale that had holes in the ceiling above just about every Star loader. They told me the holes were the result of the primers going off. I never went back. They went out of business a long time ago.
I have to get a look at the Lee case feeding conversion and put one in.
Thanks again,
Fred

Fred,

I think you will really like the Lee Case Feeder when used on top of a Hulme.  To me it's just as useful and practical an idea as the Brewster is dangerous and ill-advised.  JMHO, YMMV.

Froggie