Author Topic: Adjustable Powder Bar  (Read 7808 times)

Allaces

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Adjustable Powder Bar
« on: May 11, 2015, 02:52:38 pm »
I just tried to email barreltester regarding several questions about the adjustable powder bar, but got the message that his inbox is full.

I just purchased a Star Universal set up for .45 ACP.  I want to work up a series of loads with N310 and Bullseye powder for Ransom Rest testing at 50 yards.  How does the adjustable bar work?

JR
Two Stars in SC
NRA Life Member
US Army Retired

Ken

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Adjustable Powder Bar
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 04:12:05 pm »
I made my own out of a non-adjustable bullseye powder bar. I find that it is accurate within +/- 0.1 grain, but that is a wide spread when looking at making major PF using standard deviation. Has anyone ever tried to made a bridge for the bottom of the powder hopper? I fashioned one out of cardboard which seems to make the powder throws more consistent compared to not having one. Do any of the Star machinist gurus have such a device for sale?

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 06:21:46 pm »
Greetings,

When you say "bridge" are you referring to the folded sheet metal devices RCBS and others place in their hoppers?

If so, Star already has one, if it is original.

Look closely at the Star hopper. If it is clear plastic, you will see a threaded brass snout and just above is an Aluminum disk with a hole about 3/8" diameter. This is the "bridge" that Star used to maintain a consistent powder head pressure.

Cheers,

Dave

Ken

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 11:19:05 am »
thanks Dave. I will check mine and look for that aluminum piece.