Author Topic: Primer Feed  (Read 7300 times)

ce1911

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Primer Feed
« on: August 18, 2012, 08:59:14 am »
I ran into something new for me, 45 acp cases not getting primed. I took the priming slide and primer tube apart, cleaned it up but it really wasn't too dirty. Primer slide, spring and primer punch looked good. I have always used WLP primers but I have noticed that in some lots over the past 2 years, some of the individual primers are either oversized or out of round hanging up in my Dillon priming pickup tubes. I suspect I had a primer that could have not being picked up by primer slide.
I reloaded Star with a new batch of WLP primers, loaded 50 and is working fine now without a miss. Any other things I might have missed to check that you guys have experienced should it happen again?
BTW, running Rays auto case advance and moon kicker with Dave's FC60 short taper crimp die. These items are real values!
Dale

Jep

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Primer Feed
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2012, 08:34:19 am »
Hello:
  I had a similar problen caused by the primer slide not indexing properly under the tube.
Jep

ce1911

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 04:53:01 pm »
Thanks, what did you have to do to correct this?
Dale

Jep

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 08:15:12 pm »
Hi Dale:
  I was able to correct the problem with a different primer slide.  I have noticed the some brands of primers feed better than others.  A small burr on the top edge of the cup will hang things up.
Train Hard, Shoot Good
Jep