Author Topic: Star sizer w/ Lee TL Bullets  (Read 3845 times)

Green Frog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Star sizer w/ Lee TL Bullets
« on: November 29, 2021, 11:18:05 am »
I’m wondering whether anyone here has actually tried using a Star sizer (and a die with all lube holes open) to size and lube any of the bullets of the Lee Tumble Lube design?  I’d like to just kiss the perimeter of some Lee 32 gr TLWCs and fill those tiny little grooves. Am I barking at the moon?

Froggie

Green Frog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Star sizer w/ Lee TL Bullets
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 10:03:31 pm »
Bueller? Bueller?  Anyone else?

Froggie

Dan

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2021, 09:27:59 pm »
I am sure it will size down, how much lube you will get I don't know. I would use a soft lube and a little heat. The old NRA 50/50 should work.

Worse case you can pan lube unless you are doing a ton.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 09:01:32 am »
I have never used Lee's tumble Lube but from what I can see on YouTube, it's a liquid.   I can't see how that would work with a Star sizer.   You would have lube all over the place.   

However, I'm pretty sure that you could tumble lube your bullets in the conventional manner and then run them through the Star sizer.  I just don't know if that would leave enough of the lube on the bullet after sizing.   

I think Lee has a push through sizer that you can use with tumble lubed bullets.   It mounts on a single station press.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Green Frog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2021, 06:19:03 pm »
OK, I didn't make myself clear as I should.  I want a wadcutter bullet with a whole bunch of tiny stripes of some hard lube (like Carnauba Red) in their many grooves designed for liquid lube instead.  What I'm thinking of is to have hard lubed bullets that will behave like the old commercial swaged bullets that have knurled surfaces and some sort of mica and wax coating.  I'm hoping somebody has tried something similar so I'll have a basis for start-up.  FWIW, I'm already planning on heating the hard wax lube... I know that will be a necessity.

Dan

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2021, 09:32:19 pm »
I still have two boxes of Speer WCs & SWCs swagged with the  knurled coating. Other than being a softer alloy I don't know what these projectiles do special?