Recent Posts

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »
Star Reloaders / Re: 223 conversion parts
« Last post by brian_a_mcmillen on November 10, 2023, 08:58:18 pm »
Might be mission impossible to load 223. Missing too many specialized pieces   I have managed to set up machines in 45 acp 40 S&w 9 mm 38 super 44 magnum 10 mm 38 special all with adjustable powder bars mostly hoag.  Also have the B&G mounting base.   Most important lots of spare parts

There just so happens to be some .223 arms on EBay right now…
Stars Want to Sell/Want to Buy / Re: Star/Phelps or Phelps 45 acp reloading pres
« Last post by fc60 on November 09, 2023, 06:17:17 pm »
Greetings,

The extra die is likely the Taper Crimp die.

The 3/8" mounting post is the early version.

Cheers,

Dave
Stars Want to Sell/Want to Buy / Star/Phelps or Phelps 45 acp reloading pres
« Last post by Jag65 on November 09, 2023, 12:48:17 pm »
This is a Star press with Phelps die set or a Phelps press with Phelps dies. 3.5 Bullseye powder bar. Complete and ready to use. The extra die in the picture was in the fifth position and looks like a bullet seating die, I don't know why it was there as it is after the seating crimp die. It is missing the powder bar return spring, available from Star or hardware store, I have read some use a heavy duty rubber band.

$225 plus shipping  24lbs from Zip code 14411
Star Reloaders / Re: Progressive Stand
« Last post by MJCMD1 on October 26, 2023, 09:13:57 pm »
I use vintage oak 2 drawer library card catalog drawers. The are sturdy, rock solid and I use the left hand drawer to catch primers and rounds and the right hand drawer for storage.   On E Bay for around $75
« Last post by jcullen on October 20, 2023, 05:09:29 pm »
Wow great work    Thank you 
« Last post by Scott L on October 20, 2023, 01:01:24 am »
Dimensional Information.

« Last post by Scott L on October 20, 2023, 12:52:25 am »
Here's how I mounted my Stars on 4" tall Inline Fabrication stands. I have seen a picture of Inline making the same.
If you have a drill press and layout tools it's easy to do. I bought 10" round disc's off Ebay. A 9" disc will work, but you can't drill and tap for the Indexer support screw.

Stars Want to Sell/Want to Buy / Shell expander #16 Wanted to buy
« Last post by varmintpopper on October 19, 2023, 02:03:14 am »
NEED STAR SHELL" EXPANDER DIE" #16 in 9mm LUGER.

PM ME IF YOU HAVE ONE FOR SALE.

OR TRADE .

Good Shooting

Lindy
Star Reloaders / Re: New Star Owner with Safety Cam Question
« Last post by jw4570 on October 16, 2023, 05:10:02 pm »
Bruce,

Thank you for the reply.

I just got a few more parts (adjustable powder slide, extra slide, etc.) that included a heavily modified safety cam.  It seems to bolt on and have extra clearance at the last station.  It could probably use some welding up.  If I go taper crimp, it seems moot.

I was the guy that called you right before vacation.  I ended up buying this machine which I said I was looking at from a seller.  We had discussed another one you had or would have ready soon, and yeah, probably should have gotten that as it would be all ready to roll.  I will still need to order a powder bar from you with bushings.  Maybe a taper crimp if you have one for 45 ACP if you have one. 

The one I bought has a Star top end and toolhead, maybe it's a Phelps bottom end or at least base.  So it appears to be a parts machine.  Seems to index cases ok, I've just been trying to make sure I understand all the steps and pieces before moving forward.  I'm going to try and load this weekend.  Once I do that and see how it goes, I'll be contacting you for some parts.

Thanks,

Jason
Star Reloaders / Re: New Star Owner with Safety Cam Question
« Last post by rbwillnj on October 16, 2023, 12:04:47 pm »
The aluminum base has a sort of pebble finish which makes it either a Phelps or a Berdon.   The Thrust Nut is a Phelps design (notice the knurling on the Thrust Nut).

All of the rimmed cases will fall through the 67U bushing, but the 45 Colt is likely to bind up on the safety cam keeping it from dropping freely.  You can probably push it down manually.   Not sure about 44 Magnum.  41 Magnum is probably OK.    In any case, it's no big deal to slightly modify the safety cam.

Attached are pictures of a modified safety cam on the left and unmodified on the right.   The modified on came off a machine that came into the shop.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 »