Author Topic: Decapping pins  (Read 9893 times)

john452

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Decapping pins
« on: August 11, 2008, 01:30:24 pm »
I managed to bend mine today (rock in case). Do any other decapping pins fit these dies? Does anyone have these for sale? It looks like the pin is held in by a roll pin? Is that right? Besides bending pin the priming station has a case in it nicely jammed up. Help please. thanks

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Decapping pins
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 02:35:29 pm »
Decapping pins are simply wire gauge #52 Drill Rod (.063") cut to about 7/8" lengths.  On Lifetyme and RLS Precision Carbide sizing dies they are held in place with a set screw, ...just use the proper Allen wrench to remove.   You could probably get by cutting off a piece of 1/16" drill bit, but it would be a little undersized.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

john452

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 04:15:55 pm »
Thank you
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 04:22:19 pm by john452 »

CDRT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2008, 09:14:46 am »
I have some original Star decapping pins.  I compared them to some current RCBS decapping pins.  They appear to be the same, so you could always substiute the RCBS pin if all else fails.
Distinguished Pistol Shot

Ross Chesley

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chesleyconsultants.com
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 09:13:24 pm »
Another wonderful source for decapping pins is Brownells...

I broke my decapping pin and was able to find an easy replacement. My Brownells Starter Punch Set has a 0.60" tip about 1" in length. They are pretty tough as they are used to punch out pins. I ordered a replacement set of six pins, not knowing how well the original pin would hold up. The part number for the Replaceable Pins is 080-513-660 and description is Replaceable Pins (6) 1"x.060". They are about $10 for six, but you will not be disappointed in their quality.

To make them fit my Lifetyme die, I used a grinder to remove the large taper from the one end and then I have the total length at about 7/8". To remove the broken pin, you loosen a very small SAE setscrew using a 0.050" allen wrench. Once you remove the old pin, insert the new pin and retighten the setscrew. You should be back in business for a long time.

I hope this helps someone else.

Ross