Author Topic: safety cam spring  (Read 9589 times)

NMBob

• Active Members
    • View Profile
safety cam spring
« on: January 21, 2008, 10:47:49 am »
Being new to progressive reloaders, I'm nervous about a double charge.  I got tired of peering into the case every time, so I just bought a safety cam for my Star, complete with spring.  I'm trying to install, but where do I attach the (short) free end of the spring so that cam will return to counter clockwise position and block the head from being pulled a second time w/o rotation?

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: safety cam spring
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2008, 12:25:31 pm »
Kind of hard to describe, but there is a small pin prick of a hole in the base of the loader that is just below and to the right of where the knurled pin is inserted.   Place the point of the spring into that hole, swing the safety cam clockwise and insert the knurled pin.   Of course you can't use the safety cam with a taper crimp die, but you know that.  If you have any problems, I can probably take a picture and post it.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NMBob

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2008, 11:12:13 am »
Thanks for the info.  I'm off to the garage.

NMBob

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2008, 12:35:22 pm »
Yep, I had never noticed that little pinprick.  Got the cam on, taper crimp die out, seating die readjusted to crimp, and cam filed slightly so it didn't collide with my case-feeder, a Hulme clone.  It works.

Thanks again.