Author Topic: Star Add-ons  (Read 14360 times)

dd in MA

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Star Add-ons
« on: January 05, 2006, 12:20:40 pm »
OK, OK, OK!  Here I am with more questions about the Star.

In my quest for knowledge, I need to know who made or makes add-ons for the Star press.  I do know the names of Hulme (but have no real info), Brewster (for the Indexer; ditto no info), and Freeloader (have only the address in Janesville, Wisconsin). Who are other add-on mfgrs and what did/do they make?

It seems to me that the Star needs an add-on to shut-off for the powder measure so that you will not dump powder when no case is present.  In looking at my PM (which John Paul Jones has dated for me as pre-WWII) it has a nice brass or bronze threaded bottom that screws into the Powder Slide Housing Cover Plate (#70).  Seems to me that a brass or bronze part to go between that has a slide or rotating shutoff would be ideal.  Am thinking of a water shutoff on the zones of a hot water heating system.  Did anyone make something like this??

Thanks in advance for any additional information.

Dave Daniels

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Star Add-ons
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2006, 03:57:39 pm »
Decades ago in a magazine I can not longer remember the name of I did an article on all the Star after market accessories.  No idea now where that was printed.

Hulme started making case feeders long before Star's were drilled and taped for them.  Star started selling these and building their machines to match in the mid 50's I think.  Though FAR FAR less common, Hulme also made a bullet feeder.  The only one I ever knew of I bought decades ago.

Brewster made a 1000 primer primer turret and an automatic advancement mechanism.  My have had some other products too.  The primer turret sat above Star primer tube and was, quite literally, a bomb waiting to go off.  I know of several that did.

Don't think that there was ever a powder shut off.

Star made an automatic case ejector for rounds that didn't fall through the base.  Clever simple little device.
former progressive press collector

steven d. ogden

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 01:52:39 pm »
An outfit called M-A Systems (to which I provided  a Wemco-Williams machine) developed several very effective Star add-ons. The case feeder they built  was not one I cared for--it was kind of a cross between a Hulme and a Dillon 1000.  One advantage was the lack of a return spring so the loading force was reduced somewhat over a Hulme or Dillon.  M-A also built  an indexer which looked kind of Rube Goldberg but which worked beautifully as did ltheir version of a cartridge ejector which screwed into the mounting hole Star had lused for their safety cam.  M-A also built a good bullet feeder with accompanying bullet and case collator. A friend had their prototype setup and he could load 1800 rounds per hour with unprocessed brass and nearly 2400 rounds per hour with processed brass.  The case collator could be used as a standalone device (as Chevron is now long gone).   
sdo

steven d. ogden

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 02:08:52 pm »
An outfit called M-A Systems (to which I provided ?a Wemco-Williams machine) developed several very effective Star add-ons. The case feeder they built ?was not one I cared for--it was kind of a cross between a Hulme and a Dillon 1000. ?One advantage was the lack of a return spring so the loading force was reduced somewhat over a Hulme or Dillon. ?M-A also built ?an indexer which looked kind of Rube Goldberg but which worked beautifully as did ltheir version of a cartridge ejector which screwed into the mounting hole Star had lused for their safety cam. ?M-A also built a good bullet feeder with accompanying bullet and case collator. A friend had their prototype setup and he could load 1800 rounds per hour with unprocessed brass and nearly 2400 rounds per hour with processed brass. ?The case collator could be used as a standalone device (as Chevron is now long gone). ?
 ? ? Brewster made an indexer but I remember Ellard Malk telling me that he thought that any indexer (prior to M-A's device) wquld accelerate wear on the shellplate. ?Brewster also made a primer turret which was convenient but deadly--a device which I would discourage any reloader from using--never, never, never.
sdo

maurilew

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 08:26:03 pm »
dd in MA. read yor question about draining power. I make a small  addition for draining powder. very simple in construction.no modifications to the machine except one replacement.remove the top of powder slide housng.do not have picture sending capacity with this MSNTV unit. not good with computors. or this thing either. can snail mail a couple photos showing what it looks like and how it,s mounted.I believe Ross Chesley is happy with his.I have purposly kept it simple as I am not a machinist,just a hobbiest who likes to make things. A Star Owner in N.Y. just puchased his eighth one( a little horn blowing)   maurilew
maurilew

Ross Chesley

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chesleyconsultants.com
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 05:34:48 pm »
Maurilew's Powder Drain Block is a must have!

I have one and use it. Find I am getting tired of swapping from one Star to the other as I like it that much!

Another good tip Maurilew shared was to put a foam ear plug in the drain pipe, and it is a powder shut-off of sorts. Works good.

After Perry and national matches, I can post pictures of the drain block...

Ross

Ross Chesley

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • http://www.chesleyconsultants.com
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 05:37:14 pm »
Ken, I have the article you are thinking of? I can scan and send as a pdf for anyone who is interested. Ross

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 08:42:37 pm »
I appreciate the offer but I don't need it.
former progressive press collector