Author Topic: Star Inline or Straight-line Reloader  (Read 28505 times)

824tsv

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Star Inline or Straight-line Reloader
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2016, 09:00:27 am »
I'm quite sure pictures of your Inline would be most appreciated!

ChrisMock

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2016, 11:28:47 pm »
Very cool.   My Great Uncle is Elard Mock and I am trying to fill in the pieces of family history.   My Grandpa also worked at Star. i remember going to the shop as a child and Uncle Elard loved showing me all the machines.  He was super sweet, smart and simple. Loved hunting and was an awesome Gunsmith as well.  This forum is interesting as I have gaps on exactly what happened when he became sick and the shop was sold.  I am sure he would be so pleased his work is still appreciated!

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 12:31:07 pm »
Greetings Chris,

What a great contribution you can offer!

Hopefully you might be able to fill in the gaps and other questions with your knowledge and maybe some photos?

With kind regards,

Dave Wilson

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 03:28:24 pm »
Would love to see shop photos of Star. How about Bruce with some photos of your shop and Dave wilson also.

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 08:46:04 pm »
Welcome Chris.

I am sure you will have some comments or observations that you can contribute. So much is known of the reloaded but so little of the company and the man(men) behind it.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2016, 02:22:39 pm »
Chris,

I'd love to trade notes with you.  I never met your great uncle, but I have talked to a few people who knew him well. I'm sure they would be happy to talk to you.

Bruce Williams

Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2016, 02:29:04 pm »

I believe this is the same press described in a post by eaglemike a while back.  He describes it as a multi-station press designed to be less expensive than the Progressive and indicates that only a dozen or so were made.   I know of six including mine.     Some believe the Inline predates the "Progressive".  I'm told that the 1937 Phil Sharps book "Complete guide to Handloading" has a picture of the Inline but makes no mention of the Progressive. Of course we know the patent for the "Progressive was filed in 1933 and granted in 1936.   

Since this post is active again I thought I would add some additional information.   Apparently the multi-station press that eaglemike was referring to was not the Inline but a press similar to the one pictured below.  The pictured press belongs to CHAWKI44 who's stepfather got the press from Elard Mock.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 02:38:25 pm by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #22 on: July 01, 2016, 09:51:04 pm »
Thanks for posting Bruce.

First view of this type. Only a dozen or so would explain why most of us have never seen it.
Were the RCBS shell holders original to its use or added later?
Any idea on the year for the one in the photos?
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2016, 04:16:00 pm »
Ken,

Sorry for the late reply.  Somehow I missed your post.

I'm afraid I really don't know much about this machine.   I seem to recall eaglemike saying that he modified it to use RCBS shell holders, but this was not one of eaglemike's machines.   Eaglemike worked at Star in the mid-70's and again in the mid-80's so it's possible he may have done the modification even if it wasn't his personal machine.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com