Author Topic: Sticking Shell Plate  (Read 11405 times)

NMBob

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Sticking Shell Plate
« on: October 18, 2007, 12:58:59 pm »
Just recently my shell plate has been harder to turn.  (Universal press, loading .45 ACP.)  I've tried raising the shell plate thrust nut, wiping the underside of the shell plate and thrust nut and the floor base under the shell plate.  Nothing looks scored or worn.  I sprayed a bit of powdered graphite on the floor base and on the top of the shell plate where it contacts the thrust nut.  Then I screwed down the thrust nut to a position very slightly looser than it had been.  I'm a fairly new Star user, but I've loaded some 500-1000 rounds before this problem surfaced.  I've got the original Star instruction sheet, but it seems to say nothing about lubing this area.

Does anyone lube this area with liquid lube?  I've felt the graphite is better since it will not attract primer grit, etc.

Thanks.

NMBob

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Sticking Shell Plate
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2007, 05:29:11 pm »
 I would pull the tool head and shell plate then clean the floor base and shell plate. Reassemble and turn the shell plate thrust nut down fully and back it off 1/8 turn and tighten the clamping screw. Lightly lube the area between the column shaft and shell plate. Also check that the steel ball is free to rotate.

NMBob

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2007, 09:57:29 am »
Thanks, Tony.  What did you think about use of graphite vs. other lubricants?

NMBob

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 12:09:05 pm »
 As per Star instructions.Keep all parts subject to wear, including cam that operates angle lever, slightly lubricated [except the powder carrier]. Lubricate primer slide with small amount of dry graphite only.

NMBob

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2007, 02:10:37 pm »
Cleaned and lubed, this time w. light coat of Anderol.  (Removed graphite lube in cleaning.)  Then readjusted the thrust nut.  Still hard to turn.  Then I examined the shell base locating straps--one was dragging.  Readjusted and now tool works fine.  I feel stupid, but relieved.

NMBob