Author Topic: Auto ejection  (Read 28131 times)

osoosi

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Auto ejection
« on: February 11, 2007, 07:21:32 pm »
I'm interested in the different options available for auto ejection of .45ACP rounds after taper crimping.  Posting pictures would be great.

--Craig

catmandu

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Auto ejection
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 08:25:56 am »
I'll second that. I know they can be made with some spring steel.
But a Pic would go a long way to explain how to bend it.

Thanks,

Paul in WNY 

Ray Brandes

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Ray-Vin.Com
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2007, 07:05:31 am »
I too am exploring auto ejection. I have a taper crimp at the last station. I am told I need to elongate the notch in the collar and put a wire cam such that when the dial rotates the wire cams the round out through the wider notch. I really don't want to modify the collar and I am thinking some kind of 'kicker' that would be cocked on the down stroke and then be triggered on the up stroke just before indexing occurs.
Regards, Ray in FLA
Regards, Ray

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2007, 10:24:11 pm »
MA Systems made a very effective ejector. The one I have has been working without a failure for about 100,000 rounds. How ever I don't think they make them any more.

Diesel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2007, 02:05:52 pm »
I just picked up two of the MA Systems case ejectors with some other parts. I just need to figure out how to use them now. A friend of mine had one of the spring steel ejectors on his Star machine and if I remember correctly he told me that when you use the spring steel ejector you need to do some machining on the bottom base to enlarge the opening at the taper crimp die position. I stayed away from that one as I didn't want to alter my press.

Diesel

Star73

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot Bullseye Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 04:08:19 pm »
There's no need for machining. The opening can be elongated w/ a file. Spring steel or strong wire can be used as a guide and also a cam to eject the finished rounds.

The change is quite minor and both eases & speeds operation.

Ron H

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 05:42:41 pm »
I guess you did not receive the rest of the parts that came with the MA system ejector. If you did there would be no reason to alter anything on the machine.

Ray Brandes

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Ray-Vin.Com
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 06:42:01 pm »
Regards, Ray

Diesel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2007, 10:22:16 pm »
HI, Regarding Tony's post to me on November 18th. No, I have all of the parts to the MA Systems ejector. Just no time as of yet to play with them.
Thanks,
Diesel

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2007, 08:42:58 pm »
I contacted MA Systems last week and they had all the parts I needed to recondition an Easy Loader. They also have spare parts for the other attachments that they made for the Star. All of their products are peerless.

Diesel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2007, 06:04:56 pm »
How do you contact them?
Diesel

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2007, 10:17:48 pm »
Diesel their number is 918-824-3705. They are located in Pryor OK. and are very nice people.

Diesel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2007, 02:59:45 pm »
Thanks for the  info. I'll give them a call.
Diesel

frankg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2007, 09:27:27 pm »
I made one for my star out of a short peice of TIG welding wire. using a vice, hammmer, and grinder to put a taper on the point of the wire was all the tools I used.  I bent it to fit tightly over the case feed and extend to just the right point to eject the taper crimped round as you index the base plate. Cost: $0; works perfect; not especially pretty; no modifications to the Star. Not for nothing but I bought this machine from Gil Herbard in 1968 for $235 including one extra head for .38.

FG

Diesel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 11:30:36 am »
Here is a photo of a homemade part for auto ejection. It was made for me by a friend many years ago and is basically a length of bent wire that inserts into the Safety Cam Spring hole in the press base. I don't know that I've ever used it and it may be the part I described earlier in this post that requires opening up of the cartridge ejection port in the press base. I didn't want to alter my press. Also shown in the photo is a part that I am told is manufactured by MA Systems that holds the cartridge case firmly in the press base during the Taper Crimp Operation.

Merry Christmas to all,
Diesel