Author Topic: Star Press Mounting Solutions  (Read 31973 times)

Ray Brandes

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Ray-Vin.Com
Star Press Mounting Solutions
« on: January 07, 2006, 05:55:32 am »
When I first got my Star I was uncertain as how to mount it. I didn't want to put a hole in a workbench for the primers. Here is a photo of my mount. How about others showing their solution? - Regards, Ray
Regards, Ray

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Star Press Mounting Solutions
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2006, 01:40:59 pm »
Bench space is always at a premium in my shop so I opted for the Frankford Aresenal portable reloading stands offered by Midway.  I had to fill the plastic bases with concrete to weight them, but they have been a great solution to me.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

TDO'NEILL

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2006, 04:10:14 pm »
Very nice.
TDO'NEILL

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2006, 06:27:09 pm »
Personally I always like the B&G base.  Had a nice mounting service and containers for spent primers and bullets.  A large series of shelves to hold your cast bullets and a large bin for the yet to be used brass.
former progressive press collector

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2006, 12:03:18 pm »
Ken,

I have seen some pictures of the B&G base and it looks like a good solution, but kinda hard to find these days.? Unfortunately there are no aftermarket mounting solutions for Star Reloaders at this point, so each user has to find their own solution that fits his work space.? I think that's why Ray started this thread.

With primers dropping out the bottem, and loaded rounds sometimes droping out the bottom, and sometimes comming off the last station, a good mounting system for a Star creates different challanges than those of other reloading presses.

In the picture below, the bin on the front right is for empty cases, the bin on the back right is for primed and flared cases (to get started with) the bin on the left front is for bullets, and the bin at the left rear is for loaded rounds when they are taken off the last station.  This press is currently set up for 38 Special, so the loaded round drops through the hole in the last station (plug removed) to fall into the drawer.  When I am taking loaded rounds off the last station, I use a much larger bin for loaded rounds.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 12:10:30 pm by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2006, 03:52:59 pm »
That's clever.

Kind of wish that I had never found this site.  Almost makes me wish that I had kept my Star collection.  Almost.  I had a straightline, a rifle tool, the pistol/223 tool, at least one non-universal (maybe two) and several universals.  I loved those things but, well, I got an offer that I just could not refuse.

I also had most of the copies, a Dillon RL1000, Phelps, CPM and Berdon.  Never got the 50 BMG machine (think that only three or four of those were ever made) and never got the one built in Australia.
former progressive press collector

Lifetyme

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2006, 11:20:05 pm »
Ray.  Does your machine have an auto-eject feature or do you pull loaded rounds off the machine manually?  Bill Cunningham showed me a slick modification he does for auto ejection.  I also liked the eject-ease for M-A systems but I don't know if they are available anymore.  These nice bases have me thinking...I got a Leigh dovetail jig for Christmas and something along these lines might make a good first project.

Thanks,

Bob
Best Regards.

Bob

rdebord

• Active Members
  • Rod DeBord - VSSA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 05:25:00 pm »
Hi Folks,

Here is a picture of my setup
R. DeBord
Richmond VA
Member: VSSA, Cavalier Rifle & Pistol

Green Frog

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2010, 06:11:02 pm »
Ken,

I have seen some pictures of the B&G base and it looks like a good solution, but kinda hard to find these days.? Unfortunately there are no aftermarket mounting solutions for Star Reloaders at this point, so each user has to find their own solution that fits his work space.? I think that's why Ray started this thread.

With primers dropping out the bottem, and loaded rounds sometimes droping out the bottom, and sometimes comming off the last station, a good mounting system for a Star creates different challanges than those of other reloading presses.

In the picture below, the bin on the front right is for empty cases, the bin on the back right is for primed and flared cases (to get started with) the bin on the left front is for bullets, and the bin at the left rear is for loaded rounds when they are taken off the last station.  This press is currently set up for 38 Special, so the loaded round drops through the hole in the last station (plug removed) to fall into the drawer.  When I am taking loaded rounds off the last station, I use a much larger bin for loaded rounds.

As I was doing a thread-by-thread search of the site, I found this entry with what appears to be a beautiful oak box/stand for a Star press.  My question for the poster (rbwillnj) is whether the wood is bolted down to the table beneath it or whether the weight of the box, machine, and contents is sufficient to make that unnecessary.  I hope to make a similar stand and need to factor that into my planning.  

TIA ~ Froggie

PS  OOPS!  I must be getting cross eyed from looking at so many threads.  ::) I see the special stands now.  I guess the question remains, though, of how are they attached to the stand?? ???
« Last Edit: September 10, 2010, 06:14:27 pm by Green Frog »

333OKH

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2010, 10:21:51 am »
Mine are mounted just like Rods, except they have Chevron case feeders, George.
George Tucker
NRA Life Member
USMC Life Member

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2010, 12:55:38 pm »
The Midway reloading stands come with a plastic base, a steel tube that is tapered at both ends, and a small plastic table top.   It also comes with a template for drilling holes in the table top to mount various reloading equipment.   I you go with the wooden box route as I did, you just screw the table top to the bottom of the wooden box.

I think I mentioned in my earlier post that the Midway reloading stands are really too light, and would tend to move around on smooth surfaces.   I filled the bases of my stands with acrylic mortar.  Before pouring the mortar, I put some galvanized hardware cloth in the base, and anchored it in place with carrage bolts.
Star Machine Works
www.StarMachineWorks.com

MikeA

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2010, 04:30:11 pm »
Hello All,
I purchased one of my mounts on EBay, the seller shows two, one with one drawer and another with two.  My wife balked at me drilling into the kitchen counter so I 'C' clamp the unit instead.

Semper Fi,
MikeA

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2010, 02:28:27 pm »
I elevated my Star on a 3/8" steel plate and pieces of 3/4"conduit to be able to collect rounds in an Akro Bin.         

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2010, 02:40:33 pm »
Here is another photo.     

ARTINCT

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • Lithics Net
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2010, 09:00:06 am »
Tony:
What pray tell is that large tube thing over on the RIGHT hand side of the star in the background?
What does it do?
Art In Connecticut