Author Topic: Dillon 223 conversion of a Star  (Read 2468 times)

Scott L

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Dillon 223 conversion of a Star
« on: April 07, 2023, 03:05:33 pm »
Greetings,
In the current April 2023 Dillon catalog on page 87 is a picture of his Star conversion. Hidden behind the book is some linkage that is attached to the crankshaft. Does anyone have a picture or know what it activated?
Thanks,
Scott - the guy who looks at each powder charge, ha, ha.

661MACK

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Dillon 223 conversion of a Star
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 04:16:31 pm »
I have a Dillon 223 conversion I have never used because it was missing the link arms.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2023, 11:38:59 am »
Honestly, the link arms are unnecessary.   The only thing they do is allow you to raise the tool head about 1/8" higher.   Take a look at your machine with the tool head in it's highest position.  You will see a small gap between the crank shaft casting and the tool head.   The Super Star links allow you to raise the tool head so the tool head contacts the crank shaft casting.   Without the links you have plenty of clearance.

I didn't see the April catalog that Scott is referring to so I'm not sure if the Super Star links are what Scott is referring to.    Attached are a few pictures of a Dillon Super Star Conversion installed.   Unfortunately, they don't show a clear picture of the links.   

Maybe Scott could post a picture of the catalog page.

Bruce Williams
« Last Edit: April 08, 2023, 11:58:17 am by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Scott L

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2023, 05:47:38 pm »
Sorry, should have included a picture. Wrong audience for the blue catalog.
Full disclosure - I have a 1050 and two 1000's, but hopefully get some cred back owning 5 Stars!

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2023, 07:35:16 pm »
I saw that also and had no idea.
Then ran into a much older shorter that said it was similar to a round counter he had observed.
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2023, 09:31:07 pm »
That looks a lot like the linkage for an indexer similar to the Capital Indexer, but in the Dillon picture it looks like a solid rod coming off the crank shaft.   On the Capital Indexer there is a wire.   The wire on the left side of the picture goes up to the crank shaft and hooks to a linkage similar to the one in the Dillon picture.

In any case, it has nothing to do with the Super Star conversion.

Bruce Willaims

PS   Although it says its an original Super Star Conversion, it is set up for 45 ACP, not .223.....but it does have a number of Super Star conversion parts.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2023, 09:44:53 pm by rbwillnj »
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com