Author Topic: Modifications to powder charge bars  (Read 10542 times)

1TonyE

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Modifications to powder charge bars
« on: May 04, 2011, 10:37:33 am »
Good Day Guys,

Just wondering if modifications on powder slide bars "OO" would be sufficient enough to use hornady bushings for making correct charges for different bullets: 38 special , 40 s&w, 45 auto. Is the "OO" charge bar thick enough to fit the bushing into them or is the bushing thicker?? I don't know. The thickness of the charge bar "OO" is .031"

What I 'm looking for is a poor mans version of an adjustable powder bars. I  :odon't' have the extra $$ right now to spend, but still want to reload.  

ANY HELP?? :o

Tony

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Modifications to powder charge bars
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 11:33:53 am »
The Hornady bushings are 1/2" high while the 00 charge bars are 5/16" thick.  So no, you can't use the Hornady bushings in a drilled out 00 charge bar.

Berdon, and I think another company offered 00 charge bars with bushing sets, but no one offers bushings for 00 charge bars at this time.

I sell a 1/2" charge bar that accepts Hornady bushings.  I also include a set of spacers to convert a 00 powder slide housing to a 1/2" housing.  I am currently out of stock, but I plan to make a run of them in the near future.

Bruce
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 12:08:54 pm »
Greetings,

1/2" bars with Hornady bushings work great. Unfortunately, the range of the bushings is limited and not very useful for precision bullseye shooting.

I have been machining bushings for the Star "O", "OO", and 1/2" bars using the volume method presented by Richard Lee. The bushings are marked with the volume in cubic centimeters (cc) and with the aid of a speadsheet you can quickly select the bushing you need.

Attached are some PDF files of the "O", "OO", and Pacific/Hornady (1/2") bushings.

I can supply the original excel files so you can customize them to your powder lots.

tony barone

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 02:58:52 pm »
I think the 1/2" bar with the Hornady bushings work the best. I select a few bushings to zero in on a desired velocity  and if necessary hand ream the closest bushing to get it. Once everything is established I can change powders and bullets without any adjustments. It's a soild system that dosen't change.

1TonyE

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 04:39:04 pm »
 Hey Guys,

Thanks for your responce so quickly. I like to see who has posted on the forum daily. I'm glad to find out others are the same way. The charge bars I have are 5/16" not .o31". Obviously a type o.

The Hornady bushings seem the way to go over an adjustable for me at this point. With the bushing being thicker. what is the  possibly of using the same bushings just grind/cut/break it down to fit the 5/16" bar. I know that would change the throw of the powder, but could I take the time and buy larger size dia. bushings and make my own powder throw to bullet size chart? Or is that taking the long way around to get the job done. You see, I'm still working on building my Star press from a poorman's point of view.

I'm trying to think outside the box a little bit here.

By the way, thanks for all the GREAT inputs thus far.

More of your thoughts??

Tony   

hemitom

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 05:19:14 pm »
Bruce, can you send me a PM with regard to cost of your powder setup?  Hemitom
NRA Benefactor Life Member
Navy League
Certified Fraud Examiner
Certified International Investigator