Author Topic: dating a Star Universal  (Read 13420 times)

Kirk A

• Active Members
    • View Profile
dating a Star Universal
« on: June 07, 2010, 09:24:49 pm »
Just curious... I recently picked up the following 2-headed Universal:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180509620434&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

The documentation includes a parts list published Jan1 1952 and another price list from 1974. Any identifying indicator of the real age of this machine?

Thanks,
-Kirk
Distinguished Pistol
Distinguished Revolver

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: dating a Star Universal
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 02:07:44 am »
I believe Star began drilling and tapping the machine for the Hulme casefeeder in 1959.

I am not sure when they began drilling and tapping the last station for 11/16-24 Taper Crimp dies, older models have the 3/8" plain hole, like the one you have. John Giles developed the taper crimp die sometime in the early 1960's.

The above is all from memory and subject to occasional occurrences of "CRS".

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 07:16:00 am »
The other change that might help you determine the age of the machine is the manner in which the powder slide cam is held to the aluminum base.

If the support is cast into the base, it was made prior to the mid-60's.  If the support for the powder slide cam is held to the reloader by three screws, it was made after the mid 60's.   I don't have an exact date for the change in design, but based on dated parts lists, 1965 would be a good guess.

Bruce

I really would like to know when Star changed from the 3/8" hole to the 11/16-24 threaded die hole at the taper crimp station.   Does anybody know?
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Kirk A

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 07:50:30 am »
Cast in, definitely pre-65 then, according to your rules. (I figured this was older that me; I'm a '64 model.) In fact, as I was dismantling everything for cleaning last evening, I was unable to budge the powder cam from its holder (after removing the screw, of course). I am considering refinishing the base, as it presently has a crappy silver paint job.  Recommendations are welcome; my first thought was bead blast and anodize, though I don't where where to have the latter done yet.

-Kirk
Distinguished Pistol
Distinguished Revolver

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 03:00:35 pm »
On older models the aluminum base was painted silver.  Later on they dispensed with the paint.   I would strip the paint thoroughly clean it with a soft brush and mild detergent.  If you want, you can buff it up a bit, that's what I do.

I have never been able to separate the powder slide cam from the base.  I wonder if the aluminum was cast around it.

Bruce
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Powder Slide Cam
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2010, 07:17:58 pm »
Greetings,

The Powder Slide Cam (#30) will come out with a little persuading. It is peened on the edges to remove any play on assembly.

I use a powder bar with bushing inserts. By removing the Powder Slide Cam Screw (#76)  and wiggling the Cam up and out, I can slide the powder bar out without removing the powder reservoir (I have one with a powder shutoff). This saves me from having to remove a lot of extra parts to change powder weights.

Cheers,

Dave Wilson

ce1911

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 07:19:39 pm »
My Star powder slide cam is held by three screws and has the 3/8" hole that is not threaded at the taper crimp station so the threading must have come later.
Dale

cc656d

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2011, 08:13:16 am »
If it is a rare NIB you can date it by the newspaper packing.
Distinguished pistol shot
2600 club
NIB Star
Benefactor member NRA
Life Member Va, Md, WVa, and Fl State Shooting Associations , Life OGCA