Author Topic: Loading Hi-Tek coated bullets  (Read 6561 times)

FOR_Star

• Active Members
  • Star Universal owner since 1979
    • View Profile
Loading Hi-Tek coated bullets
« on: December 05, 2020, 02:12:43 pm »
I have some Hi-Tek coated bullets (9MM & 45ACP) on backorder from Brazos Bullets here in Texas. When they arrive I'll enter the world of loading coated bullets.
One style of 9MM I ordered has no lube groove ("NLG"), while the other 9MM style ordered has traditional lube grooves ("LG").  The 45 ACP bullets are H&G 68 type (LG).
Anyone have experience loading Hi-Tek coated bullets on their Stars?
Do the standard Star expander plugs work well? Folks using Dillons & other progressive presses seem to favor a Lyman M type expander, according to what I've read.
Would appreciate hearing comments from some Star folks who have been loading coated bullets. Did you have to have a custom expander plug made to get good results?

It seems that commercial casters are mostly using Hi-Tek coating as their standard "lube". 

Thanks
Warren
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Star owner since 1979

Humbo

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Loading Hi-Tek coated bullets
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 02:40:23 pm »
I have been loading Hitek bullets on my Stars, and have had zero problems. You need to apply a little more bell to the case mouth than when loading jacketed or naked lead bullets in order to protect the coating. Here you can see me load some 44-40 with Hitek-coated bullets.

https://youtu.be/rOdlFX9a1HE

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 08:20:14 pm »
I too have loaded coated bullets. Specifically S&S. I found they loaded the same as jacketed heads, without having to change the belling. (It is slightly larger than loading lead) Whether it changes for you would depend how much of a bell your original setting was.
Otherwise loading was without any problems or issues, and finished rounds were of expected Star quality!
Good luck shooting!
Kenn
"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

Scott L

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 09:25:37 pm »
I used Brazos coated 180gr 45cal LSWC and had great 50yd slow-fire groups. The Ransom Rest produced consistent 2" to 2-1/2" groups [no e-mail]@ 50yds.
I'm going to order more for next season.
I have a custom step expander in my Star, so I can't address your expander question.

FOR_Star

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 01:33:48 pm »
Thanks for all the responses/info.  Will be interested to see how this works for me.

Scott, what was your source for the step expander?  And, thanks for the feedback on the 180 gr SWCs.  I saw some positive comments on their website and thought about trying some.  Maybe short line, maybe for both.
Warren
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Star owner since 1979

Scott L

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 03:27:10 pm »
Hi Warren,
I made my expander out of A10 tool steel.
There are members on this forum that make parts for sale. Hopefully one of them can help you out.
I used Brazos 160's at 25yds last season. My 50yd load with 180's actually had less felt recoil.
Hope this helps,
Scott

FOR_Star

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 01:22:34 pm »
Thanks, Scott.  Much appreciated.
Warren
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Star owner since 1979

FOR_Star

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2020, 07:27:42 pm »
I have been loading Hitek bullets on my Stars, and have had zero problems. You need to apply a little more bell to the case mouth than when loading jacketed or naked lead bullets in order to protect the coating. Here you can see me load some 44-40 with Hitek-coated bullets.

https://youtu.be/rOdlFX9a1HE

Hey Humbo,

Do you have your Star on an Inline Fabrication Ultramount?  If so, did you have to get it custom made?  How do you like it?

Thanks,
Warren
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Star owner since 1979

Humbo

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2020, 02:48:21 pm »
Hey FOR_Star,
That's right, I purchased quick change plates for all my Stars. I believe Dan had the template already, or I sent it to him, I don't quite remember. But anyway, I like to operate my Stars turned a little sideways to easier seat bullets, so I drilled new holes. They work very well, I have no complaints. Dan makes excellent stuff.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2020, 09:04:40 pm »
I believe that somewhere in the Star literature it mentions mounting the reloader rotated counter-clockwise a bit so you can reach around an place the bullet a little easier.  My machines are mounted so the bronze primer assembly is at about 3:15 O'Clock.  This also gives me a little better leverage on the standard Star crankshaft handle.   Might not work so well if you are using a roller handle.

Bruce
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com