Author Topic: Grain Bar  (Read 8481 times)

hcollins

• View Profile
Grain Bar
« on: January 04, 2013, 05:26:45 pm »
I got a Star reloader from my father.   I load 45 acp in it at the moment.   The powder bar has 3.9 stamped on it.  When I went and shot the loads for the first time,  it would jam every 6 or so rounds.   I'm using 700xx powder.  It the grain amount to low and if so, is there anywhere I can get a higher grain bar and what size.  Thanks.

Stillwater

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Grain Bar
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2013, 05:37:12 pm »
I got a Star reloader from my father.   I load 45 acp in it at the moment.   The powder bar has 3.9 stamped on it.  When I went and shot the loads for the first time,  it would jam every 6 or so rounds.   I'm using 700xx powder.  It the grain amount to low and if so, is there anywhere I can get a higher grain bar and what size.  Thanks.

The 3.9 graim charge is probably for Bullseye powder.

On the cam end of the powder bar, where the rollers are, it should say should say BE, if it is for Bullseye and below that 3.9 gr.

Bill

hcollins

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2013, 06:25:01 pm »
Would that grain amount be about right for Bullseye powder.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2013, 08:21:05 pm »
What bullet are you loading?   3.9 grains of Bullseye would be an OK load to use with a 200 grain lead semi-wadcutter.  A little bit lighter than I use, but an OK load.   You might need to install a lighter recoil spring, but it depends on what's causing your jams.

Make sure you weigh your charge so you know what you are actually loading.  I don't want you to get hurt!
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 12:06:24 pm »
Bruce, That is a really a good reminder to check the powder drop whenever you get a charge bar that you have not verified.  I have bought a couple that appeared to be slightly rough like the charge chamber hole had been enlarged.  Shure enough there was a significant difference in the listed vs. the actual charge weight.  Someone had "customized" the powder bar.  The worst one was unique stamped that was over 1.5 grains high.  Kind of made my hair stand up a bit...
John