Author Topic: Powder bar designations  (Read 3947 times)

Luis

• View Profile
Powder bar designations
« on: May 04, 2021, 10:55:18 pm »
New to Star loaders and have seen powder bars with "00" designation or "299" designation.
What do the numbers refer to, or what is their meaning?
If someone can direct me to a chart that explains those number, please do so.

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
Re: Powder bar designations
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2021, 09:46:46 am »
Original Star powder slides came in four thicknesses.   The 0 powder slide (marked on the edge for the bar) and typically found on "Progressive" models is 1/4" thick.   The 00 powder slide, the most common, and standard on "Universal" models is 5/16" thick.    Star also made powder sides that are 1/2" and 5/8" thick that are typically used for magnum charges.  These powder slides are not marked on the edge.

All of the above powder slides are marked on the top with the powder, and the charge in grains.

Star made corresponding powder slide housings marked No. 0, No. 00, 1/2 and 5/8.    Star also made spacers to convert a No. 00 housing to handle a 1/2" or 5/8" powder slide.

The 299 designation is not a marking that I'm familiar with, but there are powder slides out there with markings for a number of now obsolete powders.

Bruce Williams
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2021, 05:31:20 pm »
Thank you. After reading your post, I see the 00 on the slide and on the slide support of my Star reloader.
Reading on this forum, I am getting up to speed with what I have.
The price of my Star was too good to pass up. I hope I will be able to get it working very soon for loading my 38 spl wad cutter ammo.

FOR_Star

• Active Members
  • Star Universal owner since 1979
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2021, 06:07:04 pm »
Hey Luis,

This website is a wealth of Star knowledge like no other.

Post some good pictures from various angles and folks here will help, advise, and encourage you in your Star travels.

Bruce Williams is "Da Man" for Star reloaders, both Progressive and Universal models.
Bruce's contact info can be found at:  https://www.starmachineworks.com/

Welcome to the world of Star.
Warren
Fair Oaks Ranch, Texas
Star owner since 1979

Luis

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 07:57:31 pm »
It has 38 special dies. It has the brass fitting for the powder tube, but no plastic powder tube. Also needs a shell feeder/tube holder. May need other parts?

824tsv

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2021, 08:52:51 am »
Bruce has everything you are missing. I purchased a tube for the case feeder from McMaster Carr but I would think Bruce probably has those as well.