Author Topic: Shipping star presses  (Read 3161 times)

Cousin Daniel

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Shipping star presses
« on: March 14, 2022, 04:04:18 pm »
I am getting ready to list my star collection thanks to a work truck engine blowing up and my furnace going out.

I want to hear what would be the cheapest way to ship a star universal?

NYKenn

• Active Members
  • Distinguished Pistol Shot
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
Re: Shipping star presses
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 12:54:00 pm »
I went the UPS route. Not sure what I paid, but was reasonable for the weight and size. I know it was under $ 45.00 with insurance. Should be able to price out on their website. Mine went from New York to Texas.

I did the following to limit size, etc.
I obtained a shipping box from the UPS store that was slightly bigger than the Star base, but box was about 4 feet tall.
I cut a piece of 1/2 inch plywood to just fit in the bottom of the box, and attached the reloader to it. Wrapped the powder tube and handle as well as accessories in bubble warp and packed around the reloader with padding and peanuts.
Cut the box height to just fit the reloader height and sealed it well.

Bruce Williams (RBWillNJ) may have a better idea of recent shipping costs.

Good luck.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2022, 08:36:52 am »
In my experience, UPS and FedEx ground are pretty competitive with one another and cheaper than Priority Mail.  You might be able to ship via USPS Parcel Select, but I don't know the weight and size limitations for that service.   

I pack the reloaders I sell very well.   I bolt the aluminum base to a piece of half inch plywood and use brown packing paper to fill the voids so the reloader can't move around.   A reloader with a case feeder generally packs out to just under 30 lbs.     Cost of shipping comes down to weight and distance.   Shipping rates have really gone up in the past couple years and it now costs about $65 to ship coast to coast.   That includes a small discount I get from FedEx.   If you take it to a UPS store you will probably pay more.   

Whatever you do, don't use Styrofoam peanuts.  They will compress in shipment and things will get broken.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2022, 08:52:41 am »
Thanks for the heads up on using the peanuts Bruce. Never had a problem, but always pays to be cautious. I used air bags for a while. Great for cushioning, but not happy with filling the voids.
Might be a mute point now as Styrofoam peanuts are illegal in NY.  Not sure if they were classified as assault peanuts or ghost peanuts!

Kenn

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed"

johnfreeman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2022, 06:04:03 pm »
A couple of comments on shipping. I ship heavy/fragile vintage radios and am always looking for ways to make the process more affordable.

I've started using pirateship.com with great success. They "resell"  UPS (and others) at volume pricing similar to what Ebay provides. You feed the website addresses, sizes and weights, print the label and take it to the UPS store, where you'll get a receipt. I have saved a LOT of money compared to the UPS online portal itself.

Packaging: Removing the fragile bits (the spring hanger,etc) and double boxing is a key. The inner box can be tight fitting , with the outer one providing 3-4" of clearance for bubble wrap/ styrofoam sheets, or the like for a buffer.  Used Amazon bags are cheap "bubble wrap". 

I've shipped a bunch of 50's and earlier era radios and the double box routine gets them there safely. I prefer UPS over USPS, as life is short enough without waiting for USPS parcel delivery.

Give pirateship.com a try.

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2022, 08:58:51 pm »
Greetings,

I have only shipped three Star loaders.

I mooched a 5 gallon pail with matching lid from my local restaurant.

Star fits in well.

I remove and package all the delicate bits and the handle inside old Amazon bubble bags.

Then, I stuff the inside with, now outlawed, plastic shopping bags.

Snap the lid on and put the whole kit into a cardboard box with UP clearly marked on the box.

Personally, I hate those nasty foam peanuts.

Cheers,

Dave

GeraldChainsaw

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2022, 07:56:47 pm »
I found a easy way to ship,  use a 5 gal plastic bucket with lid,  drill holes  i n bott of bucket to match  reloader base,   easy and simple,    as for shipping charges,  between 50 & 60,  if your a vet using UPS you can get a discount

NYKenn

• Active Members
    • View Profile
    • The Firing Line
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2022, 08:41:43 am »
Great to read the other comments.
The buckets will be a great way to move them with a good level of protection! I already use buckets for brass.

I occasionally have to take a Star out to do a Reloading Class. Will also be needing to move them in a few years when I relocate.
The buckets will be a great way to move them with a greater level of protection than just a box.