Author Topic: Star Machine Works, the Next Chapter  (Read 38039 times)

Kenneth L. Walters

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: Star Machine Works, the Next Chapter
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2015, 02:08:28 pm »
It is amazing to me how long it sometimes takes me to think of the obvious.

When you unpack the Star stuff that you have just bought it would be interesting to know if you find any of their prototype machines.  From the ones I've seen pictures of they would look pretty much like a basic star but altered in some pretty obvious ways.  If you do find any, I hope you'll post pictures.

Also I can not help to wonder if you will find any of the straightlines.  I think that they made about 20.  Three are known, maybe four.  Again pictures would be nice.

And Star also made a bench mounted bullet casting machine with, I think, 100 cavities.  I'd love to know how that worked and I hope you find one of them as well.
former progressive press collector

rbwillnj

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
    • Star Machine Works
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2015, 06:01:13 pm »
No Prototype machines....That would have been nice.   I did get a some rifle machine parts and a box of straight-line parts.

However, I went out to take a look at a collection of Star and Phelps reloaders a couple weeks back and was shocked to find two Straight-line machines among the collection.   They managed to come home with me along with half a dozen Universals.   Both are in 30-06 and both are incomplete but I think I have most of the parts to make them whole again.
Star Machine Works
Star, the original blue Press.  Made by machinist, not machines.
www.StarMachineWorks.com

Joatmon

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2015, 09:00:29 pm »
Very nice!  I would like to see the progress/result if you get a chance to work on these and get them back together.  Pics are always great, especially for restorations of loaders that I am unlikely to see in person in my lifetime.  I keep looking however, so far my best score was a rifle machine that was left in a barn. 

824tsv

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2015, 01:50:01 pm »
Hello,
New member here from Canada.
I just wanted to say thank you for a wonderful website and a big thank you for keeping the Star Machine legacy going. I got into the reloading hobby late in life, but i'm quite fascinated by the Star Machines and with any luck I'll be able to acquire one so I can experience the ownership aspect instead of looking in from the outside. :)

johnfreeman

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 08:59:57 pm »
Hello,
New member here from Canada.
I just wanted to say thank you for a wonderful website and a big thank you for keeping the Star Machine legacy going. I got into the reloading hobby late in life, but i'm quite fascinated by the Star Machines and with any luck I'll be able to acquire one so I can experience the ownership aspect instead of looking in from the outside. :)

Welcome to the forum .... and I'm and old guy who's new to Stars as well. I'm enjoying the ones I have now, and use them often.

John Wayne

• Active Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2015, 09:55:30 am »
THIS IS THE BEST NEWS EVER!  Many of us have had the pleasure of working with Bruce and his long track record of fine craftsmanship and dependability is well documented.   Shouldn't there be some mention of this news on the homepage so that someone new to Star equipment can find parts & know how fast without searching threads?   A sticky at the minimum?   An announcement on the homepage?