Author Topic: 357 Sig  (Read 2158 times)

cc656d

• Active Members
    • View Profile
357 Sig
« on: July 20, 2022, 05:45:48 pm »
Did Star or anyone else make dies for 357 Sig that would work on a Star Machine?
Distinguished pistol shot
2600 club
NIB Star
Benefactor member NRA
Life Member Va, Md, WVa, and Fl State Shooting Associations , Life OGCA

fc60

• Active Members
    • View Profile
Re: 357 Sig
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2022, 07:34:38 pm »
Greetings,

Bruce Williams and I may have discussed it at one time.

Dillon, the other blue machine, used to offer a solid Carbide sizing die for their machines.

Downside... The added force to full length the cases on a Star would place increased wear and tear on it.

Personally? I would de-prime, size, and clean all the cases prior to entering the Star. Then let the machine prime, charge, seat and crimp.

7/8-14 dies are generally case hardened. One can remove the threads/case with a bench grinder. Then machine the outside true to the ID and thread 11/16-24.

It is possible to knurl the end of the die; but, the knurling tool will curse you. Best knurling tool is the scissor type that applies the pressure top and bottom.

The Carbide sizing dies are not normally hardened and it is rather easy to machine away the old threads and apply new. I have done many Lee and RCBS dies this way. With care, they last quite a while. If you have Channel Lock pliers for adjusting dies, well, a curse on you.

Almost forgot. The 357 SIG case will NEED Lanolin or case lube for sizing. Without lube you will eventually break something.

Cheers,

Dave